Pick Your Favorite Valar - Poll

Here you'll find polls, games and other fun conversation starters

Pick Your Favorite Valar And Tell Us Why You Have Chosen Them

Manwë - King of the Valar and husband of Varda. He lives on Mount Taniquetil in Valinor and has power over the winds and airs.
No votes
Melkor - Mightiest of the Valar was later called Morgoth and Master of Sauron. Evil in his heart and created trouble for many thousands of years.
9%
Aulë - The father of the Dwarves. He created the substance of what made Arda, the Two Lamps of the Valar (the sun and moon) and is a smithy as well.
9%
Oromë - The husband of Vána, a great hunter and lover of forests, Oromë was the first to discover the First Children (Elves). His stories are many.
No votes
Mandos - Master of the Spirits, Elves passing from the world to go the Lord of the Dead Mandos. His wife is Vairë.
9%
Irmo - Also known as Master of Spirits but is noted for visions and dreams. His wife is Estë and they dwell in the gardens of Lórien in Valinor.
9%
Tulkas - Champion of the Ainur, he is the warrior who defends Eä and all that is good.
No votes
Varda - is the Queen of the Valar and married to Manwë. She made the stars and filled the Lamps of the Valar with light.
18%
Yavanna - married to Aulë, giver of fruits, creator of trees and all living things on Arda.
36%
Nienna - Lady of Mercy, she had no spouse and during the creation of Arda her part was singing in the sounds of sadness and grief.
9%
Estë - Married to Irmo, The Lady of Healing and Well being.
No votes
Vairë - Wife of Mandos, weaver of the story of the world.
No votes
Vána - or "the Ever-young", she is married to Oromë and is Spring, flowers and all things beautiful and young.
No votes
Nessa - is a lesser Ainu and is fleet at foot, loves deer and dance.
No votes

Total votes: 11

Philipa
Ulmo

Pick Your Favorite Valar - Poll

Postby Philipa » Thu May 01, 2014 5:33 pm

Pick Your Favorite Valar

© Kate Kasenow

The fourteen greatest Valar, as it is remembered by the Eldar in the Valaquenta, are the seven Lords and seven Queens of the Ainur. These Valar are those who chose to enter Eä to fulfill the vision of Ilúvatar. Each of the Ainur contributed to creating and protecting Eä and the Children of Ilúvatar from Melkor, the mightiest of the Valar.

You can choose one Lord and one Queen from the poll entries.
Please participate in the discussion and tell us why you chose those Valar for the poll.
Passages from the Silmarillion or other Tolkien Canon are welcome.
1 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Merry
Varda

Re: Pick Your Favorite Valar - Poll

Postby Merry » Thu May 01, 2014 8:50 pm

This is wonderful! Thanks, Philipa. I'm going to have to think about this one. And what a wonderful illustration! I haven't seen this artist before. :clapping:
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Fri May 02, 2014 2:38 pm

I am thinking about my answers as well Merry. My choice for the Lady is easy but the Lord needs more pondering.

:D I'm pleased you like Kate Kasenow's illustration. I found it on her blog From the Lost Road yesterday. She's quite talented and I liked her idea of creating a graphic novel for the Sil. :D I wonder if she ever pursued the project further?
1 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Fri May 02, 2014 3:26 pm

Gee, I wonder if anyone will vote for Melkor? :twisted:
0 x

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Fri May 02, 2014 4:03 pm

Varda pour la création des lumières qui me semblent indispensables à la vie, un pouvoir magnifique fait de promesse de félicité ; et Yavana pour les bienfaits terrestres de récolte abondante , nourriture , fruits, tout ce qui est plaisant à l'humain, la permission de cultiver des trésors de bienfaisance
0 x
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Fri May 02, 2014 10:06 pm

Two great choices MICHKA. None of the Lord's are appealing to you?

How about Melkor? :lol:
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Fri May 02, 2014 10:21 pm

So while we're deciding, we could also study the picture Philipa found for us. Any idea who is who?
0 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Sat May 03, 2014 7:16 pm

I just had a realization, Ulmo is not on this list! I must have forgotten him. :( I see him in the illustration... I think he is in the middle on the bottom with green garments and water / waves by his feet. I guess Manwe is the fella in blue garments playing with the air and Aule is the Valar with his back to us on the bottom right? What do you think?
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sat May 03, 2014 8:19 pm

Yes, I would think so. Is Melkor the big one in black in the middle? And Varda is playing with light to the upper left on Manwe?

I'm wondering who the little Tinkerbell is?

And is it too late to add Ulmo? Only one person has voted so far. (Ulmo might be my favorite male!)
0 x

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Postby Lindariel » Sun May 04, 2014 2:51 am

I voted for Varda/Elbereth the Star-Kindler, and, believe it or not -- for Namo/Mandos!

I love Varda/Elbereth, not only because she is the creator of the stars, but also because, in the guise of Fanuilos, she is the intercessor, the one to whom Elves and Men send (pray?) their petitions. I find just the idea of her incredibly enchanting and endearing.

I chose Namo/Mandos because I think he has an extraordinarily difficult and IMPORTANT job. As the Doomsman of the Valar, Namo really does all the heavy lifting -- revealing judgments and pronouncing punishments. He also tends to souls in the afterlife. I think he is just astonishingly important.

Close runners-up for me are Este and Nienna.
1 x
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Postby Lindariel » Tue May 06, 2014 3:34 pm

And yes, you definitely need to add Ulmo to the list! (:-X :lol:
0 x
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Wed May 07, 2014 5:23 am

I just voted for Aule and Yavanna--although on another day I might have voted for others! They are the chief crafters of Middle-earth, the 'makers'. I have always appreciated Yavanna's love for trees and other plants, so the gardener in me likes her. I also love what Aule did after he understood that making the dwarves without Eru's permission was a mistake: he was humble and offered to destroy them. But Eru didn't demand this sacrifice.

They make a nice couple, don't they? :wink:
1 x

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Wed May 07, 2014 5:51 pm

Philipa wrote:Two great choices MICHKA. None of the Lord's are appealing to you?

How about Melkor? :lol:

oh!non! (:-X ,mais si je dois opter pour un seigneur je choisirai Manwé, à cause de l'air et des vents :wink: :D
0 x
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Tue May 13, 2014 8:31 am

Je n'arrive pas à replacer un vote, comment y parvenir?
0 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Sat May 24, 2014 7:04 pm

Lindariel wrote:And yes, you definitely need to add Ulmo to the list! (:-X :lol:

:( I wish I could.

I finally voted and it was for Yavanna (trees and her persistence to protect all things natural. And Irmo, because I find it fascinating he works in the spirit world and dreams.
0 x

Return to “A Bit Of Fun”