Art & Artists Inspired by J.R.R.Tolkien

Studies of the Art and Artists Inspired by the Writings of J.R.R.Tolkien
Parmastahir

May Calendar of the Month

Postby Parmastahir » Tue May 03, 2011 3:36 am

Hello to All -

Posted the May Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This one is the FIRST 2012 calendar to come out. Admittedly, it's early in the year for a 2012 calendar to appear.

WARNING: Spoiler Alert!

This calendar is the Jef Murray ALEP 2 Fantasy Calendar. Jef created it and proceeds benefit A Long Expected Party 2 that is being planned. And Jef will sign the calendar that you purchase. You can find ordering information on his website. My copy arrived today. It's very nice and comes in a printed mailing envelope (a nice touch.)

Happy May to everyone!

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parm
0 x
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends.

Philipa
Ulmo

Re: Art & Artists Inspired by J.R.R.Tolkien

Postby Philipa » Fri May 06, 2011 10:34 am

Very lovely and you say he will sign them. Very cool! I think my favorite is Gandalf & Frodo gazing over the river. At least I think that's Frodo, I can't remember where this piece was taken from in the book. lol

Thanks again for bring this to us. It's always a monthly delight. :D
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Parmastahir

Postby Parmastahir » Fri May 06, 2011 10:53 pm

Hulloo Philipa -

Thank you for looking in, and I'm certainly glad that you enjoy the CotM feature. In this case, it's well deserved and timely. Jef is simply a really nice person. His support allowed us to create the 2008 - 2011 HI/NETS calendars. Now he's supporting the ALEP2 organizers. Proceeds from this calendar will help them get that event off the ground. (And I received happy birthday greetings from him the other day.) I was more than happy to add a signed one to my collection. I also purchased two other copies. I will send them to a couple of friends in Spain to thank them for helping me collect various Spanish language issues (Ediciones Minotauro and Spanish TS.)

Parm
0 x
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends.

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sat May 07, 2011 4:58 am

So has anyone been to ALEP? How was it?
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Parmastahir

November CotM

Postby Parmastahir » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Hello to All -

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature for November at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you enjoy it!

Parm
0 x

Parmastahir

January CotM

Postby Parmastahir » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:40 pm

Hello to All -

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature for January at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Not to spoil the surpise, but thought it appropriate to feature a calendar with illustrations done by JRRT himself as his birthday occurs in January.

Am back after an unexpected hiatus. Had BIG problems with my host/server and was worried for weeks that it had disappeared. But a colleague recovered it, switched hosts, and backed it all up for me. (Isn't it always whom you know rather than what?) For which, I could not be more grateful. It was a wonderful Christmas present!

Happy New Year to all!

Parmastahir
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks, Parmastahir. I'm very glad your site didn't disappear!

This calendar reflects some interesting choices in artwork, probably not the ones I would have chosen, but they do show JRRT's development as an artist. I wish someone would do a new calendar with his work again. Although he has obvious weaknesses as an artist, his pictures do show something of his spirit, which I always enjoy!

P.S. It might just be my computer, but I think some of your links didn't work.
0 x

Parmastahir

Postby Parmastahir » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:33 am

Hullo Merry -

It was not your computer. I thought that I had long ago learned to check my programming upon publishing! I fixed the March, June, and Inside Back Cover links. So they work now.

And a belated Happy Birthday to the Professor! I toasted his memory with a very nice Balvenie Single Barrel 15 yr!!

Parm
1 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Here is an artist featured by TOR.n this morning:

http://jaystolkien.com/about.php

His works are mostly icons and manuscripts, but I think these media serve Tolkien well. The medieval flavor is one that I like!
0 x

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:04 am

Très 'moyen-âgeux, en effet; certains dessins très très beaux avec le texte approprié, d'autres :''icônes'' j'aime moins, je n'apprécie pas l'Auréole sur la tête des héros , trop 'religieux ,à mon goût, chacun est libre d'aimer ou pas, n'est-ce pas? Merci pour le lien
0 x
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:07 pm

Yes, 'chacun a son gout', as they say! (Sorry, I don't remember the diacritical marks at all!) I'm a religious person myself and I love icons, but I can see how creating them of fictional characters can be seen to be in bad taste, too. I wonder what Tolkien would have thought? I like the 'manuscripts' better, too.
0 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:59 pm

That was very interesting. I loved the manuscripts too.
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Return to “Tolkien Art”