Misc. Tolkien

All about J.R.R.Tolkien's life, his beliefs and philosophies, and his interests
Riv Res
Manwë
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Misc. Tolkien

Postby Riv Res » Sun May 24, 2009 4:49 pm

0 x
Riv Res

Riv Res
Manwë
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Riv Res » Sun May 24, 2009 5:04 pm

I opened this thread specifically because I have a question about Tolkien's beliefs and his ethics for life. Merry, you should feel free to chime in here. :wink:

In many USA news reports this weekend is the story os a woman in Washington State. She suffers from incurable cancer with a prognosis of a maximum of 6 months to live, and under the State's new Assisted Suicide Law, has decided to terminate her life now before the pain and suffering and loss of human dignity become too much to bear. Washington State law now permits her to do so in partnership with her doctor.

In all of the news reports, much is being made of her being able to call the shots on her own life and because of her terminal illness, choose the best time for her to die.

As I was listening to one of these news reports while running errands the other day, all of a sudden this passage from Tolkien's LOTR Appendix A came vividly to mind...Aragorn speaking to Arwen...

"Take counsel with yourself, beloved, and ask whether you would indeed have me wait until I wither and fall from my high seat unmanned and witless. Nay, lady, I am the last of the Númenoreans and the latest King of the Eldar Days; and to me has been given not only a span thrice that of Men of Middle-earth, but also the grace to go at my will, and give back the gift. Now, therefore, I will sleep."

So...

:arrow: Was Tolkien a proponent of picking your own time to die, be it sleeping or assisted suicide?

:arrow: If not, why would he give this power to the mightiest of the Kings in his mythology? Is he not making that choice a noble cause?

Thoughts?
0 x
Riv Res

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sun May 24, 2009 7:29 pm

0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sun May 24, 2009 9:40 pm

0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Chrissiejane

Postby Chrissiejane » Mon May 25, 2009 8:15 am

0 x
....her song released the sudden spring, like rising lark and falling rain, and melting water bubbling

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Mon May 25, 2009 11:52 am

0 x
Riv Res

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Mon May 25, 2009 4:17 pm

0 x

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Mon May 25, 2009 4:41 pm

0 x
Riv Res

Chrissiejane

Postby Chrissiejane » Mon May 25, 2009 5:32 pm

0 x
....her song released the sudden spring, like rising lark and falling rain, and melting water bubbling

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Mon May 25, 2009 6:14 pm

0 x
Riv Res

marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Mon May 25, 2009 7:11 pm

0 x
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Mon May 25, 2009 10:15 pm

0 x

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Postby Lindariel » Tue May 26, 2009 1:30 am

0 x
Lindariel

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Chrissiejane

Postby Chrissiejane » Tue May 26, 2009 4:13 pm

0 x

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Wed May 27, 2009 10:54 am

It's very enlightening, isn't it? I ramble on about it in my unfinished essay somewhere. This is (as I see it) one major connecting factor between the early tales and LotR, with the Nine Rings of Power (offering long life to the nine kings) and Sauron's exploitation of the weakness of men - a clinging on to life and power beyond it's natural end - which he saw at first hand in Numenor. The Nine kings become wraithes, neither living nor dead. With the Ruling Ring Gollum lives hundreds and hundreds of years beyond his time and has less life than anyone in the book. Bilbo feels stretched thin...
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Return to “Tolkien's Life, Beliefs, and Interests”