Requests for Tolkien Research Assistance

A forum to help all of us when we are researching Tolkien's writings.
Merry
Varda
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Merry » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:31 pm

0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Lindariel » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:07 pm

0 x
Lindariel

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

elentarivarda

Postby elentarivarda » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:26 pm

0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:27 pm

I'm doing a little writing this semester on Tolkien and I could use some help thinking. One part of my paper tries to make the claim that some of the characters in LOTR can be seen in terms of priest, prophet, and king, roles to which Catholics are called to fulfill in our baptism liturgy. It's pretty well known, of course, that the Church doesn't call all of us to those roles in a literaral sense. (That's okay: I'm not bitter because I can't be a priest! :twisted: ) But there's a metaphorical sense of these terms, also.

Anyway, probably the weakest part of my claim is that Aragorn functions as a kind of Old Testament priest. Yes, there were Hebrew priests in the OT, descendents of Aaron and of the tribe of Levi. Besides maintaining their lineage, their primary job was to lead rituals. It's pretty easy to see how Aragorn's lineage was the most impressive in LOTR, and I think that his handling of athelas and his absolution and funeral rite for Boromir fit this role. But can anybody think of any other ritual elements in Aragorn's actions?

Thanks in advance! This would help a lot.
0 x

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:11 pm

Merry, I think that the events at Minas Tirith are full of rituals that Aragorn brings with him. I think that it is more evident in that part of the story than anywhere else.

:arrow: The refusal to enter the city as a triumphant King before he is crowned. He enters as a healer in diguise. This has always seemed to me to smack more of ritual and tradition than sheer modesty.

:arrow: The whole House of Healing chapter speaks to the healing powers of, and ritual of the King as a healer.

:arrow: The coronation where he has Faramir bring him the crown and Aragorn says the unforgettable... "Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome Maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!"

:arrow: The whole ritual after he was crowned where he came to the barrier and Húrin of the Keys opened it and Aragorn went through the flower filled streets.

:arrow: When Aragorn finds and takes the white sapling back to the city and replaces the White Tree.
0 x
Riv Res

Lindariel

Postby Lindariel » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:38 am

0 x
Lindariel

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:44 am

0 x

Lindariel

Postby Lindariel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:34 am

0 x
Lindariel

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:01 am

0 x

Lindariel

Postby Lindariel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:16 pm

0 x
Lindariel

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:41 pm

0 x

MICHKA

Re: Requests for Tolkien Research Assistance

Postby MICHKA » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Si vous regardez les bonus de la version courte cinéma du ''Retour du roi'', edition Prestige, il y a un documentaire fort intéressant et explicite sur le destin et les motivations d'Aragorn; c'est très bien fait avec beaucoup d'analogies à des personnages véritables, réels, ayant existé!!!Cela peut éventuellement éclairer quelques points obscurs pour certains. De mon point de vue il ne fait aucun doute sur la signification des mobiles justifiant les actes héroïques de celui-ci; sauver une terre et ses habitants, protéger du mal engendré par son ennemi l'existence et le mode de vie, obéir à sa foi en l'humanité.
0 x
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks, Michka--I'll have to look to see if that is in our edition here in the States. It's kind of fun that, as you are making your way around our site, you're also reminding us of good conversations from the past!

Lindariel, as I've read up this thread, I now happen to know that Catholic priests are not and have never been allowed to carry weapons of any kind. (Even now, in orders of Knights such as the Knights of Columbus and the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre, priests who are members do not wear the ceremonial swords, because their counterparts in the Middle Ages did not carry weapons.) I think this is probably a good thing, a little nod toward the inconsistencies between the message of Christ and the violence of warfare, even though the Church has not often been consistent in this area.

I do sometimes hear old-time Catholics speak of the Church Militant, however, but as you said above, the battle is a spiritual one, often with one's own demons. :evil:
0 x

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:51 am

bonjour, le documentaire dont je parle est réalisé par le ''National Géographic''; je reprends la route du retour de vacances et vous retrouverai depuis le nord de la France dès lundi; je pourrais me pencher sur mes livres et anecdotes pour continuer nos échanges et répondre aux jeux, à bientôt et merci de vos encouragements
0 x
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks, Michka. I've never seen the National Geographic program, although I imagine it's wonderful! I'll need to add that to my list.

It IS hard to participate in the discussions here when one is away from one's research materials. Memory is sometimes faulty! So welcome back from your vacation.
0 x

Return to “Tolkien Research Aids”