Requests for Tolkien Research Assistance

A forum to help all of us when we are researching Tolkien's writings.
Riv Res
Manwë
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Requests for Tolkien Research Assistance

Postby Riv Res » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:56 pm

I am opening this thread in the hopes that someone among us can assist me in finding any info that may be out there on The Pelennor.

While we are doing this I would invite anyone and everyone who may be researching any Tolkien topic and would like some help from our wonderful and numerous in house scholars :wink: to posts their requests here as well.

Here is what I am researching.

The Pelennor Fields:

:arrow: Any descriptions of the Pelennor.
:arrow: The climate.
:arrow: Was it used for any kinds of agriculture?
:arrow: Was it indeed a 'field'?
:arrow: Was it liberally or sparsely populated in times of peace?
:arrow: Populated where and by whom?

If you have anything at your fingertips...would sorely love for you to post it here. :D

Many, many thanks!

Any other research requests?
0 x
Riv Res

Merry
Varda
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Merry » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:10 pm

Fun!
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:42 pm

I haven't read through LOTR on the Pelennor recently, but there are a couple of things that I remember that suggest that it is a Mediterranean climate. I think that in one of his letters, Tolkien writes that he thinks of Minas Tirith as something like Rome. Also, the description of the plants in Ithilien, which is nearby, suggests a more temperate climate--lots of herbs, etc. I can't get any more specific, but I'll try to look up the references tonight.
0 x

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:57 pm

This is EXACTLY what I am needing Merry. I want to know if Tolkien mentions vineyards anywhere in the Pelennor or to the south. I am envisioning Tuscany here. :wink:
0 x
Riv Res

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:58 am

0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:09 am

0 x

marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:02 am

0 x
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:22 pm

0 x

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:52 pm

0 x
Riv Res

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:57 pm

0 x

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:50 pm

From Fonstad's Atlas...

All of Gondor, and even southern Rohan, all of Ithilien, and all of Lebinnin are classified as humid climates, all having mild winters. The northern reaches had mild summers.

Everything from Gondor southwards having hot dry summers. Fonstad lists our current equivalents as Mediterranean Sea area and Southern California. :wink:
0 x
Riv Res

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Postby Lindariel » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:02 pm

0 x
Lindariel

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:40 pm

0 x
Riv Res

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Postby Lindariel » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:35 pm

0 x
Lindariel

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:48 pm

0 x
Riv Res

Return to “Tolkien Research Aids”