Art & Artists Inspired by J.R.R.Tolkien

Studies of the Art and Artists Inspired by the Writings of J.R.R.Tolkien
marbretherese

Post by marbretherese » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:00 am

fabulous calendar! well done all! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:46 pm

I've been away for a break so am just catching up here!

Thank you so much, Parmastahir :hug:. I'm just thrilled that they like it so much! It's one of those paintings that I just saw complete in my head (that happens to me a lot :lol: ). It's always better in my head though :wink: .

The calendar looks wonderful and I hope everyone really enjoys it. All kudos to you and Megan for making such a great job of it.
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Parmastahir

(1) HI/NETS and (2) November CotM

Post by Parmastahir » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:53 am

Hello Iolanthe -

(1) I posted copies of the 2011 HI/NETS to you this week for your collection and sharing with friends. I'm not trying to rush through 2010, but I will be very pleased to hang this one up in 2011. It's a beauty!

(2) Posted the November Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It's a humorous (and rare) calendar from the fertile mind of Dan Smith. Enjoy!

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends.

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:40 pm

That really is fun - I want to stay at Tom and Goldberry's Bed and Breakfast!!! And as for 'Grima's School of Charm' :lol: . Does Grima have a Bed and Breakfast too? Because I'm sure I've stayed there...

My calendars have arrived (as you know :wink: ) and I am beyond thrilled, as I'm sure Anke is too :D . Way to go Parmastahir and Megan :clapping:, and congratulations on the soon to be arriving 10th Anniversary of the Northeast Tolkien Society. I hope you have plenty of Shire Ale, dancing and second breakfasts planned!

Parmastahir

December CotM

Post by Parmastahir » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Hello to all -

Posted the December Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It's a rarity that I only recently discovered.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Parmastahir
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends.

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Very interesting because of the added artist's commentary. I like way he's painted Pippen's Palantir encounter (August). Refelctions like that are the devil to do (literally in this case...).

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:54 pm

I'd have to say I liked June's Gandalf's Triumph best. It shows of power and difficult task the wizard endured. Thanks for sharing. :D
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Parmastahir

January CotM

Post by Parmastahir » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Hello to all!

Hope your holidays were wonderful.

Posted the January Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is a classic (and relative rarity) from Beyond Bree. That group celebrates its 30th anniversary in April.

Parmastahir

(and my 2011 HI/NETS is now hanging at work for a larger audience to enjoy! Only 10 copies left for sale. Apparently, these are collectible. Big news to me, wot? A copy of the 2010 HI/NETS just sold for over US$40 on eBay.)

marbretherese

Post by marbretherese » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:05 pm

thanks, Parmastahir - I haven't seen anything like this calendar before.

And congratulations on how collectible your Heren Istarion calendars are becoming!

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:05 pm

Interesting range of styles - including Egyptian fresco! I think December is my favourite, it's really beautifully drawn.

I'm not in the least surprised HHI/NETS calendar is collectible, it's beautifully presented and there are not so many of them that everyone has one.

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:12 am

Love the rough look of this new/old calendar. How very cool. :D
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Parmastahir

HI/NETS Calendar

Post by Parmastahir » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:53 am

Thanks all for your comments.

These are not "my" HI/NETS calendars. My wonderful daughter does the graphic design and puts together a most excellent assemblage of illustrations from some extraordinarily talented artists each year. I can only take credit for getting the permission of those artists, influencing the order in which their works are presented, and putting in a little sweat equity (stapling, drilling, packaging, and mailing them all out.) It is therefore the collective effort of a most supportive group of fellow Tolkien enthusiasts for which I am most grateful (present company included!)

And I agree that the BB calendar is a good one. I intend to post another BB issue in April to commemorate their 30th anniversary that month. It's quite a wonderful group and a most excellent newsletter. Its size (12 pages) belies the scholarly content and information within.

Parm

Riv Res
Manwë

Post by Riv Res » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:13 pm

David T Wenzel

Have any of you taken a look at the simply superb Hobbit art by David Wenzel? I believe it says he is from Connecticut. We have all talked about focusing some of our art on The Hobbit this year since the filming is much in the news. Well this guy is WAY ahead of us and appears to have illustrated the book. Iolanthe and marbretherese, he is a watercolor painter. :D :D

Some examples ...

Take a look at all of his hobbit illustrations here at his website. Simmply wonderful stuff!

© David T Wenzel

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Post by Lindariel » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:21 pm

Thanks for bringing this to us, Riv. His work is certainly beautiful and vivid. I must confess that I do not care for the rather bulbous nose and somewhat oafish look he has conceived for his Bilbo. He looks more like a servant, rather than the gentlehobbit who is Master of Bag End and head of the Baggins family. Other than that, and the bit of license he took with that portrayal of Smaug confronting Bilbo AND the Dwarves (just WHEN did THAT happen?), I think his work is really first-rate!! He definitely has a clear vision of "his" Middle-earth.

No Elves? Sniff . . .
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

marbretherese

Post by marbretherese » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:07 pm

These are terrific - I love his Gandalf - and what a great website, although it's a bit difficult to read. He's obviously a highly respected and prolific children's book illustrator in the US. And I love his self-portrait on his website, too!

You can find out more about him in a readable font here on Wikipaedia.

I've also found a link on Amazon to his graphic novel version of The Hobbit.

Thanks for posting these, Riv!