Studies of the Art and Artists Inspired by the Writings of J.R.R.Tolkien
Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:33 pm

My copy is in the mail! \:D/
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Post by Lindariel » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:00 pm

My 2011 Cor Blok LOTR calendar arrived today!!! YAY!!!! I am planning to spend a lovely evening perusing it.
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

marbretherese

Post by marbretherese » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:41 am

enjoy!!
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:20 pm

You won't be disappointed, it's so unique.
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Parmastahir

September CotM

Post by Parmastahir » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:24 pm

Hello to All -

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

At the risk of spoiling the surprise, it is the 1986 Beyond Bree calendar. It is a rarely seen issue and only the second of their series. I featured this one in anticipation of the issue of their 2011 calendar which commemorates the 30th anniversary of Beyond Bree. Congratulations to Nancy Martsch and all who support this active society.

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends.

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:17 pm

Very interesting calendar! I love the script on the actual calendar pages and how wonderful to finally see an illustration of the Cake from Smith of Wootton Major (August). The only other one I know is Pauline Baynes. I also love the King's Tree (December, also from SoWM).

Parmastahir

October CotM

Post by Parmastahir » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:59 am

Hello to all -

Posted the October Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you enjoy it (and can appreciate "the sacrifice" that I made to be able to post it for you!)

Parmastahir
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends.

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:44 am

What a fabulous calendar, Parmastahir! It was definitely worth ripping off that shrinkwrap. I love Zhouf's work which is completely new to me. I think that's the first illustration I've seen of the Huorns attacking the orcs (February). Terrific! And that's a great Old Man Willow picture too. I also love April, May, June..... OK, I love ALL of them :lol: .

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:43 pm

Love this calendar with the illustrations from Martin Zhouf. I've not seen his work before. I loved his rendition of Lindon (Dec) and April's elven canoes going by the Argonath. Thanks for sharing!
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Parmastahir

Very Welcome!

Post by Parmastahir » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:44 am

Hello Iolanthe and Philipa -

This calendar has sparked a lot of positive comments (on this and other forums.) Other than thumbnails on the back cover of the calendar, I was not certain what to expect from it. Some have commented that a few illustrations are very reminiscent of scenes from the PJ movies (which predated this calendar by 3 to 5 years.) But in general, most people like the "feel" of it.

I actually have two other copies of it still in the shrinkwrap, which is why I "sacrificed" the third copy. (But I opened its shrinkwrap carefully and put it back in afterwards. So it's still semi-protected.)

Parm

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:08 am

I'm not at all surprised it's been popular. I can see a little film influence in the Moria picture (July), but really that's about it. I love it!

Parmastahir

2011 HI/NETS Calendar!

Post by Parmastahir » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:16 am

With apologies to Iolanthe who doesn't know this yet . . .

If you're looking for a Christmas gift for a Tolkien fan, please consider the 2011 Heren Istarion/Northeast Tolkien Society Calendar available at:

http://herenistarionnets.blogspot.com/p ... endar.html

The fourth in this series of calendars, it features another wonderful cover by Jef Murray, illustrations by Anke Eissmann and Sue Wookey (our own Iolanthe), and a specially created centerfold by Catherine Sparsidis commemorating their 10th anniversary. Net proceeds benefit this official Tolkien Society smial. My daughter and I printed a rather limited edition: only 65 will be available!

Parmastahir

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Post by Lindariel » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:48 pm

Thanks for letting us know! I've already ordered mine!
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:40 pm

Congratulations, Iolanthe! Looks like a wonderful calendar.
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Parmastahir

Comments on 2010 HI/NETS Calendar

Post by Parmastahir » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi Iolanthe!

There are four colleagues at my workplace that now look forward to (and purchase) the HI/NETS calendar. Every one of them said either "Oooohh" or "Wow" when they opened up the calendar and saw your illo of Gollum and the ring! (It's my favorite, too, and the first one that I wanted to include in this issue.) The simple complexity (there's an oxymoron for you) of it is amazing. Thanks for your support of our annual issue. Hope you use the calendar in good health and prosperity throughout 2011!

Parm