Ted Nasmith

Studies of the Art and Artists Inspired by the Writings of J.R.R.Tolkien
Beren

Postby Beren » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:47 am

I did go to the exhibition in Moreton in Marsh... it was just fantastic! The art of Ted Nasmith is amazing and when you see them hanging there it is even more fascinating. The detail he puts in the paintings, the colors, the ... well you cannot describe it; it is brilliant. It is funny to see his small sketches he makes. The way he works is really fascinating.

Also Ted Nasmith is a very nice person, and very nice to talk with. I consider him as a friend and hope to see him soon again. Hope to be able to go and visit him in Canada one day! I think in April 2007 there will be a new exhibition, if you can you should really go! Also Alan Lee will be attending... and so we can let him sign our Children of Hurin. April 2007 will be amazing (but i'm getting of topic).

The new works of Nasmith are even better then the ones we already know. He painted an excellent "blue wizards" and other scenes from the unfinished tales, so i expect he is working on an illustrated edition of this book. In the past people commented that Nasmith figures were badly crafted, yet in his new paintings everyone will have to change opinions! The quality in his work is still going up! (Sadly the price for originals also)
0 x

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:21 pm

Beren wrote:In the past people commented that Nasmith figures were badly crafted, yet in his new paintings everyone will have to change opinions! The quality in his work is still going up! (Sadly the price for originals also)

I absolutely love Nasmith's work too, Beren. I have never met him but have corresponded with him a couple of times and you are correct that he is a very nice person.

I once asked him why he had never painted that stunning image of Aragorn's final farewell to the Fellowship at sunset. I was surprised to read his reply that he "didn't usually do figures" but that it would be a good one to try. Perhaps tha critic's barbs stung a wee bit. I am delighted to hear that it has not stopped him from continuing to do them when inspired. :D
0 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:26 pm

Beren wrote:

I think in April 2007 there will be a new exhibition, if you can you should really go! Also Alan Lee will be attending... and so we can let him sign our Children of Hurin. April 2007 will be amazing (but i'm getting of topic).

A new exhibit you say. I'd better get cracking on Google to see when this may happen. And with Lee... I wonder about so many of the details, this is intrigueing to me.

Please share any news about either artist with us Beren, we are starved for anything artsy. :D
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Beren

Postby Beren » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:31 pm

I got the info at home and will try not to forget posting it when I arrive home. I have the info straight from Andrew Compton and he told me the new exhibition will be held again in Moreton-in-Marsh; will be in April 2007 to be at the same time with the release of the Children of Hurin. He also told me Ted will be there as well as Alan Lee (and then personal invitation for the evening parties)...
0 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:33 pm

Excellent news and yes I'd love to make an announcement so our UK readers can make their plans. I, unfortunately, am on the wrong side of the water. :cry:
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Beren

Postby Beren » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:35 pm

Same feeling here... luckely in my case the water is only a channel so I can easely cross it. But the costs to get from Belgium to the UK and stay there for some days is always very high..
0 x

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:38 pm

Start saving your money now Beren! :wink: I think it would be worth it Agree? :D
0 x

Beren

Postby Beren » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:46 pm

O but I'm going... no worries. Spending some evenings eating, drinking, singing with Alex Lewis, Ted Nasmith (and now also Alan Lee) is one of my favourite passtimes. Moments to cherish!! If you are coming over in april, i'll be there!
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:55 pm

Beren, your experiences are so rich!

Among many other topics I've been thinking about since the Oxford Tolkien conference was whether there are different readings or emphases of Tolkien's works depending on nations or even continents. For example, do Americans read LOTR differently than the English? Does reading LOTR in French give it a different flavor than reading it in German?

After reading your discussion here, I've started to wonder about the same question in regard to art. Does Alan Lee's nationality color his mind's picture of Tolkien's world, for example?

Any thoughts?
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:36 pm

I'm hoping to get to that exhibition - to meet Alan Lee again, meet Ted Nasmith, see the paintings, the Children of Hurin tie-in - it all sounds fantastic. But for me it depends when in April it is. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the info, Beren!
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Beren

Postby Beren » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:56 pm

Ok this is what i know so far: The next exhibition will be from saturday 21st April 2007 to Tuesday 24th April 2007 with a private preview party on the Friday 20th evening (for the ones invited).

This is 2 weeks after Easter and 1 week after the Tolkien Society AGM.

The big news is that this coincides with the release of "The Children of Hurin" due for worldwide release on Tuesday 17th April, this book is 325 pages and 75000 words. It has illustrations by Alan Lee who has agreed to attend the exhibiton and will be signing copies of the book.

The exhibition will also have the original illustrations on display. It will feature the brilliant works of Ted Nasmith and will also have Ruth lacon's enchanting paintings.

It should be a lot of fun.
0 x

Airwin

Postby Airwin » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:32 pm

I'm not afraid to admit I'm just :mrgreen: with envy. :wink: In addition to seeing the artwork and the artists, I'd particularly like to meet Alan Lee again, and hopefully have something intelligent to say this time. I hope he'll come this way again to promote "The Children of Hurin." (:-o<
0 x
Namarie,

Airwin

marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:04 pm

If I can possibly get there, I will - thanks for the info, Beren!
0 x
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:39 pm

Thanks Beren. I'm very pleased to hear that The Children of Hurin comes with new Alan Lee illustrations :D .
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Beren

Postby Beren » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:27 pm

If you are interested in The Children of Hurin i can direct you to my website, tolkienlibrary.com, where there are some articles who deal only with this book. I know now almost exactly what will be in it... been mailing and calling a lot with publishers and the Tolkien Estate.
0 x

Return to “Tolkien Art”