No votes

Total votes: 36

Philipa
Ulmo

Name Your Hero Of LoTR

Post by Philipa » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:17 am

Name Your Hero Of LoTR

© Tolkien

The Lord of the Rings series gave us many characters with different significant importance to the story. Several are arguably more important then others. Within this poll we have chosen a few characters that played an important part to save Middle-earth from the evil forces of Sauron.

Place your vote and tell us why you have chosen your hero from the War of the Ring.
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:16 pm

I see some have already voted. I'd be curious to know from the member who voted for Faramir why they choose him. He was one we just through on this list as a whim.

I need to give it some thought. I'd like to think the person I pick is so vital to the story I wouldn't have doubts of my choice.

hope

Post by hope » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:52 pm

I have voted for Gandalf for a few reasons:

!) He seeks to rid Middle earth of evil for the benefit of all with no other apparent motive than that . Whilst Aragorn sees the bigger picture also (unlike some characters) he also has a vested interest in achieving Sauron's downfall ie his Kingship and Arwen.

2) He has respect for all beings.

3) He knows that successfully destroying the Ring will end his time on Middle earth but is willing to relinquish life for the greater good.

Just my thoughts, not necessarily right but it was a hard choice cos i have always loved the character Aragorn from first reading LOTR. :)
What have I got in my pocket?

Estel

Post by Estel » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:41 pm

I voted for Aragorn, a.k.a. Strider or Elessar or Estel :P
I can't help it :oops:
I know Frodo is the protagonist of the story...but some kind of justifiable reason, I suppose, is that Aragorn knows what's going on, wanders around in all these years preparing and waiting patiently, has to make all these important decisions, while Frodo, a much simpler creature, is just thrown into a series of events and has to cope with them, one at a time, often guided by fate, or providence, or might one say, the Valar. Sam is brave too, but very uncomplicated, more than Frodo. I've never been interested in hobbits :oops: , I don't see them as humans, I suppose. Their resilience to the power of the ring makes me suspicious, they're not real, they're fairytale creatures. :roll: I've always preferred the humans, Aragorn, Faramir and of course the whole royal family in Rohan. :heart:
And Gandalf is a divine creature, a messenger, a teacher, a guide, which means he doesn't really qualify as a hero.
Just came up with one more good reason. :P Aragorn has a sword :wink: and doesn't hesitate to use it. :lol:
Since Aragorn has a success and mood curve :dizzy: going upwards and Frodo's is going downwards, I should like to name them my hero and antihero, respectively. Like matter and antimatter etc. :lol: Is that OK? :wink:
Out of doubt, out of dark, to the day's rising
he rode singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
Hope he rekindled, and in hope ended;
over death, over dread, over doom lifted
out of loss, out of life, unto long glory.

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:38 am

Philipa, I was the fool who voted for Faramir. :twisted:

There are probably several definitions of 'hero' we could be working with, as Hope and Estel show us above. And they are probably all good ones. But I remember from my first reading of LOTR (lo these many years ago!) that I never doubted Faramir's goodness. Even when Frodo and Sam were a little afraid of him, I wasn't: maybe Tolkien tips us off with his physical description or something.

I also think Faramir is the romantic lead of LOTR--at least, his is the only romance we witness. :wink:

In any case, somebody has to stand up for the second son!
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Cassandra

Post by Cassandra » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:21 am

I voted for Aragorn, too. Mainly for the same reasons Estel described. And I think that this is the greatest love story I have ever read. And I don´t think of Faramir :wink:. From the moment on when Frodo witnessed Aragorn standing next to Arwen at Rivendell I was convinced that there was more, I remember discussing every little evidence of my theory with a coworker who had read the books many times. He still denies that those little moments are about Arwen, sigh, men. :roll: .... the more I admirer the Professor for knowing so much about women. :D Aragorn waited so many years to be united with the love of his life. With his love and respect for Arwen and Elrond he tried to fulfill Elronds demands. I don´t think, Aragorn would have thrown himself into his tasks without the award waiting for him. Arwens steadfest love gave him secureness and hope, although the task seemed impossible to fulfill at times. He always had hope, and not only because he was clear sighted, but also because he had to believe in something (somebody), he had to hang on to the thought of a life with Arwen. Frodos love for the Shire made him hang on to the task, it was Aragorns love for Arwen that was the driving force for Aragorn.
Aragorns dispair, when Arwens arrival took so long, all the victories wouldn´t mean anything to him without her. And finally she came, yesss, I was happy... who cared about Hobbits???? Aragorn got his Arwen, that´s all that counted :wink:

Cassandra

ElessarsLady

Post by ElessarsLady » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:21 pm

Judging from my board name you can tell who I voted for...I don't want to be redundant since Estel and Cassandra have stated all the reasons I would have stated....the only thing I can add is that when I read "LOTR" for the first time Aragorn reached out from the pages and facinated me deeply.....that facination has never dimmed for me after all these years....he was and still is my all time hero...

bruce rerek

Post by bruce rerek » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:51 pm

I guess that Faramir's nobility is found in being a true gentleperson. He was not only a captain of men, he was also a scholar and never once had any thoughts of robbing Frodo of the Ring. He touches my soul as a despised second son, who would do his father and his lord's bidding at the peril of his life. Moreover, he knew what Eowen suffered from, and despite his own aggrieved losses, Faramir was still able to be tender to her. Of all the roles I find myself most identified, Faramir and I would have much to speak of.
Bruce
Mornie utlie
Believe and you will find your way
Mornie alantie
a promise lives within you now

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:08 pm

Oh, my, bruce: I thought I would be the only Faramir fan! And for some reason, I would have put down money that you would have voted for Sam. Thanks for the nice surprise!

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:12 am

This is so tough but I think I'll vote for Sam. It seems to me the other characters could have faltered from their tasks and still the fate of evil vs. good would rest on Frodo. Without Sam, Frodo could not physically carry the weight of the ring and make it all the way to Mt. Doom in one piece. It is my belief that if Frodo had faltered to the point of not going on...Sam could have taken up the task himself and succeeded. His love of the Shire would have driven him on.

So I vote for Sam, the not so cute nor cultured as the others but just as gallent as all the rest.

Riv Res
Manwë

Post by Riv Res » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:01 am

I find it interesting that Frodo has only one vote so far. :-k Could it be that the true hero is not on the list?

May I play devil's advocate and say that the black hero of the Lord of the Rings should Gollum?

Yes he may have murdered Deagol to get the Ring but then he unwittingly hid it from Sauron for hundreds of years...and...the persistent pest ultimately found the Ring before Sauron could...and destroyed it.

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:47 am

Well, I think that's a good argument, Riv Res. Certainly without Gollum, there is no eucatastrophe. As others have pointed out in the secondary literature, if there had been no Gollum, think of what Sam would have had to do to Frodo. I think we might not love the books so much had that been the ending.

Estel

Post by Estel » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:09 am

I like the idea of Gollum :twisted: and of course dear old Sam, but who cares about the ring? :lol:
I didn't as soon as I had came across Aragorn. 8) His fate interested me, then Éowyn, when she came in, imagine my confusion with the outcome :shock: . Wasn't able to read the appendix about Aragorn and Arwen and get the explanation until three years later, so first I was just angry, but then I started to see all the signs in the book, Rivendell, conversations between Aragorn and Éowyn etc.
bruce rerek wrote:I guess that Faramir's nobility is found in being a true gentleperson. He was not only a captain of men, he was also a scholar and never once had any thoughts of robbing Frodo of the Ring.
I do love Faramir, because he is the best man in LOTR, better than Aragorn probably (bad Estel :twak: ) but at the same time I think he is too good to accomplish anything. 8) Aragorn has ambition and a couple of driving forces to do good, like getting his girl :wink: and finally being recognized, not being called ugly things by the likes of Denethor. He is just more interesting, more of a riddle and I've always loved tall, dark, mysterious men. :wink:
Besides, a hero should be conflicted, who is interested in "helyllegrabbar"? 8) Sorry, can't find a good expression in English. :oops: "Helyllegrabbar" means "pure wool boys". :lol:
Out of doubt, out of dark, to the day's rising
he rode singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
Hope he rekindled, and in hope ended;
over death, over dread, over doom lifted
out of loss, out of life, unto long glory.

marbretherese

Post by marbretherese » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:54 pm

I'm finding the question impossible to answer, and haven't voted yet. Like many others, I'm tempted to choose Faramir, I've always had a soft spot for him, and he's heroic in a true-to-life way that many people can relate to - living his life in Boromir's shadow, despised by his father etc, finally coming good and getting the girl. Aragorn is more heroic in an epic sense - he has a mysterious past and a glorious future. Then again, the story begins and ends with Frodo and Sam, and their massive struggle against all odds!

Q: so: how do you choose just one when they all "done good?"

A: you nominate your own hero(ine): Éowyn. I'd vote for her if I could!! :lol:
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:40 pm

OK, I'm riding out on my white charger on behalf of Frodo, though, as Estel pointed out, Aragorn has a big special sword (and is therefore automatically a first-class hero).

Why Frodo?

:arrow: He makes a greater leap to heroic action than the others apart from, perhaps, Sam. He was neither born to it or equipped for it. Aragorn, for example, was born to his destiny and had spent his life preparing for it.

:arrow: He makes the decision to carry the ring himself to Mordor and accepts a terrible destiny.

:arrow: His is the greatest physical and psychological burden. The ring brings inner torment on top of the terrors of the journey itself. Sam's task is to support Frodo, but it is Frodo's task to actually do it.

:arrow: The entire future of Middle Earth stands or fails on his success and he knows it. The fate of the West lies with him every step of the way after Rivendell.

:arrow: He shows pity to Gollum and seals Gollum's destiny to take the Ring in the fire.

:arrow: His is the greatest sacrifice. The others go on to reap the rewards of the New Age and live full lives. The old Frodo is destroyed by the task. 'I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me.'

I think Frodo's most heroic moment by far is his decision to leave all the others, including Sam, at Parth Galan, and go on alone.

(But my favourite character's still Aragorn..... :oops: )
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...