Tolkien Trivia

Here you'll find polls, games and other fun conversation starters
MICHKA

Re: Tolkien Trivia

Post by MICHKA » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:03 pm

bravo, c'est donc votre tour, Lindariel! et on s'amuse vraiment!
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Post by Lindariel » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:47 pm

OK, what day is described by the following text:

" . . . the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of Winter."
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

MICHKA

Post by MICHKA » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:13 am

est-ce toujours tiré du ''Hobbit''?
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

MICHKA

Post by MICHKA » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:46 am

j'ai la réponse : page 61 chapitre ''courte pause " le jour de Durin : le premier jour de la nouvelle année des nains, dit Thorin
nouvelle question : que veut dire : Oakenshield ???

Lindariel

Post by Lindariel » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:21 am

Michka, here is how Thorin obtained the name "Oakenshield," according to Appendix A in LOTR:

"It is said that Thorin's shield was cloven [during the Battle of Azanulbizar] and he cast it away and he hewed off with his axe a branch of oak and held it in his left hand to ward off the strokes of his foes, or to wield as a club. In this way he got his name."

Here's my question:

How was the game of Golf invented?
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

MICHKA

Post by MICHKA » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:05 am

est-ce Bilbo en attaquant les araignées?(frappant les pierres avec son épée?)

Lindariel

Post by Lindariel » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:14 pm

I'm afraid not, MIchka. You'll need to look earlier in the book for this answer.
Lindariel Image

MICHKA

Post by MICHKA » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:33 pm

un tout petit indice supplémentaire,svp? J'ai beau relire je sèche!!

MICHKA

Post by MICHKA » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:16 pm

alors,formidable, j'ai enfin trouvé:page 24 ''Une réception inattendue'',chapitre où l'on parle du grand-oncle vieux Took,Bullroarer(taureau mugissant),qui d'un coup de gourdin fit voler la tête du roi Golfimbul à la bataille des Champs verts, la faisant rouler dans un terrier de lapin;c'est ainsi que fut inventé le jeu de Golf
question: Que fit et où s'est rendu Gandalf en mai?

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:16 pm

'Bullroarer' sounds much better in French! :lol:
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

MICHKA

Post by MICHKA » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:09 am

j'espère une réponse à ma question, et comme nous sommes près du 1er mai, fête du travail, je souhaite une heureuse, fructueuse, joyeuse fête à tous les membres du forum!!!

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:22 pm

Thank you for the good wishes, Michka! We don't celebrate May 1 as a holiday for workers here in the United States, possibly because we have a Labor Day and because the May 1 holiday is associated with communism in some minds. But since I'm a Catholic, I always enjoy May 1 as the feast of St. Joseph the Worker, which has even deeper roots!

I'm probably translating your question incorrectly; I don't understand the first part and the on-line translator was also no help. Here's the part I can understand: Who visited Gandalf in May? Is that the question?

MICHKA

Post by MICHKA » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Gandalf a fait un voyage, qu'il raconte le 1er mai, lequel et qu'y a t'il fait? (est-ce plus clair? Je n'arrive pas à bien traduire, sorry)

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:59 pm

My translation skills are very old, Michka--from high school! But I'm finding it fun to try to do this. I think this is better:

"Gandalf made a journey, he tells us, on the first of May: where and who did he visit?"

MICHKA

Post by MICHKA » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:56 pm

O K,Très bien, ''is good'', donc ,la réponse est?