Pick Your Favorite Valar - Poll

Here you'll find polls, games and other fun conversation starters

Pick Your Favorite Valar And Tell Us Why You Have Chosen Them

Manwë - King of the Valar and husband of Varda. He lives on Mount Taniquetil in Valinor and has power over the winds and airs.
No votes
Melkor - Mightiest of the Valar was later called Morgoth and Master of Sauron. Evil in his heart and created trouble for many thousands of years.
9%
Aulë - The father of the Dwarves. He created the substance of what made Arda, the Two Lamps of the Valar (the sun and moon) and is a smithy as well.
9%
Oromë - The husband of Vána, a great hunter and lover of forests, Oromë was the first to discover the First Children (Elves). His stories are many.
No votes
Mandos - Master of the Spirits, Elves passing from the world to go the Lord of the Dead Mandos. His wife is Vairë.
9%
Irmo - Also known as Master of Spirits but is noted for visions and dreams. His wife is Estë and they dwell in the gardens of Lórien in Valinor.
9%
Tulkas - Champion of the Ainur, he is the warrior who defends Eä and all that is good.
No votes
Varda - is the Queen of the Valar and married to Manwë. She made the stars and filled the Lamps of the Valar with light.
18%
Yavanna - married to Aulë, giver of fruits, creator of trees and all living things on Arda.
36%
Nienna - Lady of Mercy, she had no spouse and during the creation of Arda her part was singing in the sounds of sadness and grief.
9%
Estë - Married to Irmo, The Lady of Healing and Well being.
No votes
Vairë - Wife of Mandos, weaver of the story of the world.
No votes
Vána - or "the Ever-young", she is married to Oromë and is Spring, flowers and all things beautiful and young.
No votes
Nessa - is a lesser Ainu and is fleet at foot, loves deer and dance.
No votes

Total votes: 11

Merry
Varda

Re: Pick Your Favorite Valar - Poll

Post by Merry » Mon May 26, 2014 6:58 pm

Well, we can let it be known that if anyone wants to vote for Ulmo, he or she can just do so in a post here.

Seems like we're all fans of Yavanna. That's interesting. The other female Valar aren't prominently featured, with the exception of Varda, maybe. Or maybe we all like trees! (I was just out tree-shopping today for the garden.)

I think if I were voting in order among the females, it would be Yavanna, Varda, and then Nienna, the last of whom because Gandalf was devoted to her.
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

shieldmaiden

Post by shieldmaiden » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:40 am

Well, I haven't been around since the First Age so I thought I would make my comeback by voting for the big, bad dude. Although I'm known as Shieldmaiden here, on most sites I'm known as Evil~Shieldmaiden. Not that I'm particularly evil but the name does allow me to strut my naughty side.
“…..suddenly above him far and faint his song was taken up, and a voice answering called to him. Maedhros it was that sang amid his torment.” The Silmarillion, Chapter 13: Of the Return of the Noldor

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:55 pm

Oh, my--never thought we'd have a vote for Melkor! But thanks for participating in this thread. I appreciate Philipa's work in setting this up so beautifully and I always thought it deserved more attention.

I just saw a link at TheOneRing.net to a 4-minute video that summarizes the mythology of The Silmarillion. I'll be back in a minute with the link:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/12/20/95913-95913/

The author of this vid calls the Valar 'angels' so, in the case of Melkor, a fallen angel or Lucifer?

shieldmaiden

Post by shieldmaiden » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:43 pm

As Tolkien was a Roman Catholic, I've always loosely related his "immortals" to the hierarchy of angels:

Valar = Archangels
Maiar = Seraphim
Elves = Cherubim

Continuing the thought process, that would indeed make Melkor/Morgoth the equivalent of Lucifer.
“…..suddenly above him far and faint his song was taken up, and a voice answering called to him. Maedhros it was that sang amid his torment.” The Silmarillion, Chapter 13: Of the Return of the Noldor

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:10 pm

I have also thought that the elves have certain angelic qualities, so I didn't quite subscribe to the idea of the Valar as angels. But I like your hierarchy, Shieldmaiden.