Monster Poll

Here you'll find polls, games and other fun conversation starters

Who is the best monster in Middle-earth?

Shelob
5%
Ungoliant
24%
The Balrog of Moria
38%
Smaug
No votes
Glaurung
14%
Carcharoth the Wolf
10%
The Watcher in the Water
5%
Other
5%

Total votes: 21

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Wed May 07, 2008 4:01 am

I think we've read about that reenactment--was it in Poland? We'd be glad for a thorough account, Mithrennaith.

Great signature quote, by the way!
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Mithrennaith

Post by Mithrennaith » Wed May 07, 2008 2:59 pm

No, this is nothing to do with Poland - we've formed an acting group in the Dutch Tolkien Society Unquendor, and one of Unquendor's founder members, who is a professional author and translator, has made a play out of Children of Húrin. For lack of actors we are at present only working on two acts - mainly the events in Brethil - and we are only makng slow progress. We're meeting once or twice a month now, rehearsing scenes, tuning staging, still trying to learn our texts by heart, discussing what costumes and props will be necessary - and how to get them at low cost. For this is very much a very low budget amateur production. We still haven't the slightest idea when, where and for what audience we will stage it (although as to audience, that will probably be Unquendor and friends - license unlikely to be obtained).
Not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day! - Aragorn in Rohan [LR 3 II:142]

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Mon May 12, 2008 7:00 pm

That sounds like tremendous fun :D . How great to play a dragon!

I voted for Glaurung too - I think dragons are terrifying (check out my nightmare painting of Glaurung in Nargothrond to see why I voted for him). But Ungolient and the Balrog are still neck and neck (or should that be leg and wing :lol: ) front runners.
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Kirill Leonov

Post by Kirill Leonov » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:41 am

Carcharoth rockz :lol:

My sister has a large polar fox plushie named Carcharoth. :D She usually pronounces the name the German way because that's easier, though. :)

I had to give a report on a book in English class once and chose the Silmarillion, and presented the tale of Beren and Lúthien as an "example", and I practised the pronounciation of Carcharoth's name in particular beforehand. (That was March 1st 2002 btw - I remember the date because it was Aragorn's birthday, and the year because it was just after FotR had coem out) 8)
Tracking the sun in his galleon and travelling the skies
'Til his splendour was shorn by the birth of morn and he died with the dawn in his eyes

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:53 am

Kirill Leonov wrote:Carcharoth rockz :lol:

My sister has a large polar fox plushie named Carcharoth. :D She usually pronounces the name the German way because that's easier, though. :)
Now I wonder if I'm saying it right myself. I would suppose it is pronounced Car-ca-roth would you think?
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Kirill Leonov

Post by Kirill Leonov » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm

The ch is supposed to sound like the rough ch in German, according to... Unfinished Tales, wasn't it? And roll the r. :)
Tracking the sun in his galleon and travelling the skies
'Til his splendour was shorn by the birth of morn and he died with the dawn in his eyes

Meliel

Post by Meliel » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:57 pm

I chose the balrog. :D
When I was maybe seven years old, my mom read to me the part where the fellowship encounters the balrog. I tried to imagine what the balrog would look like, but I couldn't even imagine the scariness of that thing. My eyes were bugging out of my head the whole time. :shock:

Then I saw the balrog in the movie, and I remember being scared out of my wits. :shock: It gave me nightmares (and still does. :oops: )

Every now and then I think about how scared Frodo was when he saw it. :nervous: :help:
O:) Meliel
"If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change." --Michael Jackson

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:57 pm

It looks like the Balrog is winning the poll, Meliel, so you made a good choice--although how anyone could vote for anything else when there are spiders to vote for is beyond me! :shock:

Tolkien's imagination still amazes me. I think we've all had your experience, Meliel, of wondering what the Balrog looked like. The word picture of 'a shadow and a flame' gives us the feeling, but not quite a picture. In the movie, I think the look of fear of the faces of the members of the Fellowship tells us more than the actual appearance of the Balrog: 'What new devilry is this?' or something like that. Great line! For I suppose Tolkien was trying to tell us that this was some kind of demon, right?
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:58 pm

Meliel wrote:I chose the balrog. :D

Then I saw the balrog in the movie, and I remember being scared out of my wits. :shock: It gave me nightmares (and still does. :oops: )
That creature was really scary I can agree. And the weta crew really brought it to life. :shock:
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

shieldmaiden

Post by shieldmaiden » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:22 pm

I chose "other". IMHO as Melkor and his follower Sauron are the personification of evil, they would trump all others.
“…..suddenly above him far and faint his song was taken up, and a voice answering called to him. Maedhros it was that sang amid his torment.” The Silmarillion, Chapter 13: Of the Return of the Noldor

MICHKA

Re: Monster Poll

Post by MICHKA » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:07 am

j'ai choisi le guetteur parce qu'il est vraiment terrifiant avec ses tentacules, pire que le calamar géant de Jules Verne :''20000lieues sous les mers'' de Walt Disney; son aspect gluant et son énorme gueule font toujours peur à mes petits enfants
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti