Boromir
30%
Faramir
70%

Total votes: 27

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Speaking of which, I've been reading that Faramir is a nasty villain in 'Australia'.
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:47 pm

I see Faramir is well ahead now and I've nearly given up being Devil's Advocate, but... remember that the Poll was originally:

...for our poll let's suppose you are in a tight corner and need a defender. When it comes to the crunch which of the two would you rather have at your side?

So, in a tight corner does your defender have to be the interesting and multidimensional romantic hero or the best in Gondor with that great big sword :wink: :lol: .

Merry wrote:Speaking of which, I've been reading that Faramir is a nasty villain in 'Australia'.

Really :shock: . How did they manage that?
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:17 pm

Iolanthe, to paraphrase Freud, sometimes a sword is just a sword. 8)

I have read that David Wenham is seriously one-dimensional in this new movie, which is hard to imagine.
0 x

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:44 am

Ah, I understand now. I think he's a very sensitive actor but no one has really known how to get the best out of him since LotR.
0 x

Gal8h9d

Postby Gal8h9d » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:48 am

Yes , think so, too. Just imagine him in Moulin Rouge as the mean character, in LOTR he looks as handsome as never before or after, IMO.
0 x
Love throughout the lands

Athelin

Postby Athelin » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:28 am

If fighting is concerned or needed, I'd say Boromir, for he really can be bestial. But otherwise - I simply do not wish to choose, as both characters appeal to me very much. Boromir, the flawed, broken hero and Faramir, who was Gandalf's pupil and has to live with the rejection of Denethor.

Both are men of deep thinking, but while Boromir's thoughts seem to be self-centered with all their doubts and wishes for glory, Faramir is thinking of the whole community. So he's the perfect new Stewart, a role in which I cannot figure his brother. He is a magnificent war lord, but no civil leader concerned with the needs of his people.
0 x
Awake! The shadow is gone and all darkness is washed clean!

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:46 pm

I think that what has always attracted me to characters like Faramir is the knowledge and anticipation that beneath their quiet and reserve, there lurks the capacity for action and great deeds. It is part of the same allure that I see in Aragorn, though in Faramir it lies much deeper. Aragorn has been required to summon these noble resources more often. Faramir keeps them more hidden because of his father's reaction.

I love the anticipation that Faramir (and of course, Aragorn) will continue to summon courage and strength and nobilty when the time comes. I think that is why they are heroes.
0 x

shieldmaiden

Postby shieldmaiden » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:33 pm

It's really difficult to vote for one or the other as they play such different roles in the telling of the story, and I admire both characters for different reasons.

However, if forced to chose, I would use the true definition of "hero" to evaluate their actions. Using this method, Boromir would be my choice as he makes the ultimate heroic sacrifice. He sacrifices his life in the face of seemingly hopeless odds to save the Hobbits, and dies believing that his sacrifice has been in vain.
0 x
“…..suddenly above him far and faint his song was taken up, and a voice answering called to him. Maedhros it was that sang amid his torment.” The Silmarillion, Chapter 13: Of the Return of the Noldor

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:11 pm

I have a hard time overlooking Boromir's inherent weakness though. Perhaps he would never have had to give his life to save the Hobbits is he had not first and foremost coveted the ring. I have always felt that there was something in Boromir that was corrupted.

Faramir, seems to have escaped the corruption and earned his father's scorn in the process. He has much inner surety and strength...a truly heroic character. IMHO. :wink:
Last edited by Riv Res on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Meliel

Postby Meliel » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:01 am

I voted for Faramir. :shock: Yes, quite a shocker. :lol:
In both the book and the movie, it seemed to me that Boromir was quite arrogant. And if you know me well, you'll know those who are extremely arrogant can really annoy me to bits. 8)
But I liked Faramir's character in the book...at the time I was about seven and I always rooted for the good guys, so I was just happy that Faramir let Frodo go eventually. :clapping:
In my opinion, if Aragorn hadn't become king, out of the two, Faramir would be a better ruler. I'm not really sure why, I just like those who are compassionate and I believe Faramir falls under that category. O:) :hug:
0 x
O:) Meliel
"If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change." --Michael Jackson

shieldmaiden

Postby shieldmaiden » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:19 am

I don't dispute Boromir's arrogance, or his seeming lack of compassion however, there is a part of me that believes he knew that the fate of Gondor lay in hands other than his own. He would have known that the elven blood had risen in Faramir's veins, not his, and knowing Denethor's suspicious nature, he would likely have protected his brother or, at least, diverted attention away from him.

What matters is that Boromir recognized what his arrogance had cost the Company and gave his life to protect what little of it that was left. To some extent, for me, that exemplifies what the trilogy is all about. The idea that each of us can play a part in the fate of others and that, regardless how small our part seems, it is as important as any other in the end.

Besides, isn't that what life is all about? The idea that even the most corrupt among us can achieve redemption through self-sacrifice and good deeds.
0 x
“…..suddenly above him far and faint his song was taken up, and a voice answering called to him. Maedhros it was that sang amid his torment.” The Silmarillion, Chapter 13: Of the Return of the Noldor

Meliel

Postby Meliel » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:53 pm

Very good point, shieldmaiden! :D :D
0 x
O:) Meliel

"If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change." --Michael Jackson

Merri

Postby Merri » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:54 pm

Faramir is one of my favorite characters, possibly because the brothers remind me of my sister and I and our relationship with our parents (seemingly one-sided with my sister being able to do no wrong); however, I can relate to Boromir's desire to bring the ring back to Gondor and attempt to wield its power (even though he would fail as he would not be able to control the ring, just the opposite).

I also envision Boromir's strength when in battle. His countenance and passion (which I think is sometimes mistaken for arrogance) seems to shine with integrity and purpose.

Marriage = Faramir
Battle/Protection = Boromir
0 x

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Well - you have really summed it up for me with that last line, Merri. Maybe the ideal would be marrying Faramir and keeping Boromir on as our champion. The premise of this thread was who would you want at your side as a defender in a tight corner and I think, if it came to swords, Boromir would be hard to beat on that count. But there are other kinds of defence where love and eloquence are needed. That would definitely be Faramir!
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:43 pm

But doesn't it say somewhere in the text that, for all his scholarly ways, everyone knew that no one could beat Faramir on the battlefield? Something like that?

And, forgive me, Merri, but I do think Boromir was arrogant. There are many lines through the text that show this.
0 x

Return to “A Bit Of Fun”