2008 Yule Essay Contest

Archived threads.
marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:23 am

I love it, Merry!! :clapping: can we really not count it as an entry? such a shame!
0 x
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:15 pm

I love it too :D . I like the format and the whole idea that it inspires Bilbo to share his home with Frodo.

Everyone's had such great ideas for Bilbo's Yuleday :clapping:. I think everyone should take a bow!
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Postby Lindariel » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:58 pm

marbretherese, I believe Merry was referring to this rule of the contest when she indicated that her wonderful contribution (Congratulations to Merry and Nephew M -- I love the poem!) was not an "entry":

Middle-earth Journeys Moderators may enter but are not eligible for the Grand Prize.

Merry (as Varda) is a MeJ Moderator. That is why Riv and Iolanthe's terrific contributions also are not official "entries" for the contest. I think it is a shame as well, because I really enjoyed ALL of the poems and stories, :clapping: and, especially since there were so few legitimate entries (I think there are only 4 -- yours, mine, Chrissiejane's, and my daughter Meliel's), I wish we could vote on ALL of them. (:-o<

So . . . when does the voting begin? :whistle:
0 x
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:39 am

Lindariel wrote:
So . . . when does the voting begin? :whistle:

Yes indeed:

The voting will begin at @10:00am on January 1, 2009 and will end at 8:00am (U.S. Mountain Standard Time) on Tuesday, January 6, 2009.

:shock: :lol:
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:19 am

Sorry I am late setting up the voting. Will do so tomorrow and extend to period a few days. :oops: :wink:
0 x

Lindariel

Postby Lindariel » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:09 am

It is an incredibly busy time of the year, Riv, and you are a wonder to manage both V-W and MeJ. We are SO grateful for all your hard work to bring us such a wonderful place to share our mutual joys and obsessions with The Professor's great work. We can CERTAINLY wait for you to fit this contest into your busy schedule.

Thanks so much for everything you do, and bravo for coming up with such a terrific subject for this year's contest! :D :clapping: :hug: :worship:
0 x
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:31 am

Congratulations Chrissiejane. :D
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:34 am

Congratulations to Chrissiejane for her wonderful winning entry in this year's essay contest...and a HUGE congratulations to all of the elligible and inelligible entries from young and old. :clapping:

This yearly contest may be small but it is great in the variety and the vibrance of all the entries. Bravo everyone!!! :D
0 x

Lindariel

Postby Lindariel » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:39 pm

Congratulations Chrissiejane! Your poem about the dragon was just wonderful.

And congratulations to all of the elligible and non-elligible participants in the Yule Contest! Each entry was unique, creative, interesting, thought-provoking, and highly entertaining.

I really think we should have creative and/or scholarly "challenges" several times a year. We could do it just for fun, there wouldn't even need to be a prize or a poll -- just an interesting topic, a chosen format (poetry, story, essay, etc., plus a selected illustration), a maximum length (1,000 words seems good), and a time period for submission.

What do you think?
0 x
Lindariel Image

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:36 pm

I like it! And I agree with RR that, even though participation here is small, it is still valuable.
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:18 pm

Well done, Chrissiejane. I thought your dragon poem was fabulous :clapping: :D . With so many good entries it hasn't been an easy choice.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that had huge fun writing something and reading all the entries.

I'm all for more creativity. There is our essay thread for more scholarly stuff and I think I set Gandalf as a topic once for art and poetry and it produced some very interesting poems! Maybe we could set occasional themes and see what everyone comes up with in any medium - whether an essay, a poem or a painting :-k. Worth thinking about.....
0 x

marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:30 pm

Well done Chrissiejane!! this has been such fun to do and to read. I like the idea of themes . . . !!!
0 x
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Chrissiejane

Postby Chrissiejane » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:12 am

Thanks for your kind words everybody!! I am surprised and honoured to be chosen from such a strong field.
I love the idea of repeating this type of competition periodically, it was such fun to participate and also very educational to read everyone's entries. I think it captured the spirit of the professor's wish, that others would follow his lead and expand on his Middle Earth mythology.
0 x
....her song released the sudden spring, like rising lark and falling rain, and melting water bubbling

Chrissiejane

Postby Chrissiejane » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:55 pm

Just to let everyone know that the gorgeous Ted Naismith Calendar has arrived and is every bit as breathtaking as one could hope. I gaze on it hanging on the wall above my laptop every time I sit down to type. :D Thanks again!
0 x
....her song released the sudden spring, like rising lark and falling rain, and melting water bubbling

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:41 pm

I saw it at Oxonmoot and it really is a great calendar - I bought the equivalent desk diary (same pictures...).
0 x

Return to “Archives”