FoTR - A Short Cut To Mushrooms: Bk I, Chapter IV

A chapter by chapter as well as general discussion of Tolkien's masterpiece
Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:08 am

hope wrote:

He seems to provide glimmers of hope that the quest will not fail.

That of course is the whole theme isn't it hope. Without hope there is failure. :D
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:07 pm

I've been rereading C. S. Lewis' autobiography of the first part of his life, Surprised by Joy, and I'm finding it even better than the first time around. This is just about a line or two, but I read last night about the walks he liked to take and why, and one line was that, in his day, mushrooms were free to all for the taking, "like the air", he said. So I started wondering about the economics of mushrooms. Here in Iowa, the local wild mushrooms are morels, and they are quite the delicacy and quite expensive. One can't usually find them for sale in grocery stores, but rather at farmers' markets and road-side stands. I'm pretty sure, though, that they are considered the property of the people who own the land, and not free like the air.

What are the customs about mushrooms where you live?
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:57 am

Anyone can go mushroom hunting as long as they are not trespassing on someone's land, and I know that a lot of people like to do this and that there is growing interest in it. I'm surprised that Lewis used 'in his day' as though it was something that had been stopped. There are a lot of people that like berry picking along hedgerows too. But only a few weeks ago some young women were nearly killed when one picked a fungi she had identified wrongly and fed it to her friends!
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:05 pm

My apologies: 'in his day' is my own addition. CSL was talking about his youth. I'm not sure if he was implying that things were different when he wrote.

But isn't all land 'owned' by somebody now? How can one not trespass?

There is also growing interest in 'shrooming in the States, too. But I have to admit that eating morels took some getting used to, and I still like my mushrooms more domesticated!
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:19 am

Ah - I see! There's always been mushrooming - which is becoming increasingly popular with a lot of TV Chefs including it in their programmes. There are lots of public open spaces and woodlands owned by the National Trust all over Britain. Four in fact within a 10 minute drive from me. Plus a huge number of public pathways and bridleways that cut through privately owned land. They have hedgrows, grass banks and trees full of fruit and fungi if you know where to look and are confident about what to pick (I'm most definitely not!).

I see the National Trust even have a mushrooming feature linked from their homepage :lol: !
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”