FoTR - Three is Company: Bk I, Chapter III

A chapter by chapter as well as general discussion of Tolkien's masterpiece
Riv Res
Manwë

FoTR - Three is Company: Bk I, Chapter III

Postby Riv Res » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:55 pm

Three is Company

"Frodo and Gandalf" by Alan Lee

"If you can think of any way of slipping out of the Shire without its being generally known, it will be worth a little delay. But you must not delay too long."

House Rules
0 x

librislove

Postby librislove » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:24 am

One of the greatest joys of re-reading LOTR is knowing from this point on that Frodo will not be alone in his Quest, as he fears. The committment that Sam, Merry, and Pippin make to him is simply one of the best depictions of friendship in all fiction, and it is also in this chapter we begin to see Sam's loving devotion as well.
0 x
Many live who deserve death; some die who deserve life--can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be so quick to deal out death in judgment. Even the wisest cannot see all ends.

bruce rerek

Postby bruce rerek » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:19 am

There are several important points I would like to bring to the discussion. The first is the mood of the chapter, we are in autumn, where the shadows grow longer and the chill of winter is in the air but not as yet a hardship. Frodo can not wait any longer and must set out on a quest that he really does not have any real substantial plans as how to execute. His surroudings inform him that all is well, the corn is tall, the honey combs are full and ripe, and the fruit trees are bearing ample fruit. The last of the the Old Winyard is drunk, and the washing up will be left for less than welcome relations.
The shadow first comes into being by way of hearsay, the Old Gaffer had a queer fellow inquire about Baggins. The three hobbits set out for their journey and Frodo wonders if he will ever look down at this valley again. The emotion that it stirs in one is of leaving that which was so fundamental to one's identity now has become so fragile. The road goes on forever and yet its this path that has called them. That is was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep, and every path was its tributary. Its a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door.
Before long the nameless riders appear and their dread is made most known. Gildor appears before the worst could happen and here we discover the enchantment of grace. ..the Hobbit's could see the starlight glimmering on their hair and in their eyes.
The Menelvagor, Swordsman of the Sky appears and an unbroken continuity of three ages shines upon elves and hobbits. Shadow and light is represented in all aspects of song an verse.
Can not a hobbit walk from the Water to the River in peace?
But it is not your own Shire...The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in but you cannot not fence it forever out.

And of advice? One must make choices for their own task, for to ask of another what road they would take is to stray from the one that is appointed to each individual.
Courage is found in the most unlikely places. Truly, Home is behind the world ahead.
0 x
Bruce
Mornie utlie
Believe and you will find your way
Mornie alantie
a promise lives within you now

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:47 pm

I enjoyed this chapter once again. Tolkien really sets the scene with those Black Riders doesn't he? And the ring always trying to coerce Frodo is working harder now. Remember he almost hesitates to long on the road when the first Black Rider approaches?

And then we meet some 'high Elves'. After reading the dialog between Gildor and Frodo I was reminded what a sad lot the Elves are.

Gildor Inglorion of the House of Finrod. We are Exiles, and most of our kindred have long ago departed and we too are now only tarrying here a while, ere we return over the Great Sea.

Anke-Katrin Eiszmann
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:50 am

It wasn't until I reached this chapter and the Black Riders, that Tolkien hooked me on this story. There seemed hints at a compelling plot in the first two chapters, but there was also a lot of the rather silly Hobbit lore and squabbling just like the first book, and while I enjoyed the first book I could see how big this one was and I was not sure if I wanted to spend all that many pages on quaintness.

Then I read THE paragraph...

They looked back, but the turn of the road prevented them from seeing far. 'I wonder if that is Gandalf coming after us,' said Frodo; but even as he said it, he had a feeling that it was not so, and a sudden desire to hide from the view of the rider came over him.

I was hooked completely and couldn't put the book down until I had finished. Been lost in Middle-earth ever since. :wink:
0 x

bruce rerek

Postby bruce rerek » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:59 pm

The black riders, the shades of Mordor coming on the heels of Autumn.
0 x
Bruce

Mornie utlie

Believe and you will find your way

Mornie alantie

a promise lives within you now

Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:08 pm

I remember reading this (*cough years ago) and thinking how disappointed I was ... that I was not going on another adventure with Bilbo. I did not quite trust Frodo yet. I suppose I liked the "harmless" thief that Bilbo had become in the Hobbit. and wanted more of the same.

This adventure story gripped me with the first meeting of the black riders. The stakes seemed to be much higher right away. This was no longer floating away from danger in a barrel. This was danger with a long history. The ring was no longer a toy. With Frodo, it was something to fear and mistrust.
0 x
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:22 am

Mithrandir wrote:I remember reading this (*cough years ago) and thinking how disappointed I was ... that I was not going on another adventure with Bilbo. I did not quite trust Frodo yet. I suppose I liked the "harmless" thief that Bilbo had become in the Hobbit. and wanted more of the same.

This adventure story gripped me with the first meeting of the black riders. The stakes seemed to be much higher right away. This was no longer floating away from danger in a barrel. This was danger with a long history. The ring was no longer a toy. With Frodo, it was something to fear and mistrust.

Mith, I would have to wholeheartedly agree with you. I think the Black Riders (and of course the discovery of what the true nature of the Rins was) were the vehicle...at least for me...that took LOTR to a whole new level. That single invention...dreadful Black Riders...took this story completely out of the child's book realm and into the adult themes.

I remember reading LOTR to my nieces and nephews when they were young and while they got hooked on the story immediately upon meeting the Riders, I was often quizzed by both sisters-in-law (my brothers had read the book and were fans) as to what in the heck I was doing scaring the bejeebers out of the kids for.

To this day, my nieces and nephews and I still share the secret delight when we talk about our clandestine rendezvous and the thrill of reading the book together in secret together. What wonderful memories we have, and they tell me how much they grew with the story.
0 x

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”