Our Favorite Passages from 'The Lord of the Rings'

A chapter by chapter as well as general discussion of Tolkien's masterpiece
serinde

Postby serinde » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:24 am

There are so many great descriptions of stars, light & water in Tolkien!
0 x
"Elan sila lumenn omentielvo"

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:07 pm

Iolanthe wrote:Thanks for reviving this thread, Serinde :D . That first quote is so very... hobbity!

This reminds me of another favourite moment, just before your quote:

The lights died down, and the glow of the trees faded; but outside under the arch they could see old Treebeard standing, motionless, with his arms raised above his head. The bright stars peered out of the sky, and lit the falling water as it spilled on to his fingers and head, and dripped, dripped, in hundreds of silver drops on to his feet.

It's so beautifully written and such a wonderful image. I really want to paint it but I don't hink I could ever do it justice!

It really is a 'moment' isn't it? It shows us the being called Treebeard is as ancient as the stars above as well as organic too. :D
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

serinde

Postby serinde » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:33 pm

Here's a very sad comment by Faramir:

Men now fear and misdoubt the Elves, and yet know little of them.
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:39 pm

So today I got to sleep in, without an alarm clock, for the first time in a very long time. When I awoke (about ten o'clock), I looked over to my favorite calendar :wink: to see that this was the day that Frodo awoke in Rivendell:

Frodo woke and found himself lying in bed. At first he thought that he had slept late, after a long unpleasant dream that still hovered on the edge of memory. Or perhaps he had been ill? But the ceiling looked strange; it was flat, and it had dark beams richly carved. He lay a little while longer looking at patches of sunlight on the wall, and listening to the sound of a waterfall.

But, alas, Gandalf was not sitting by my bedside.
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:46 pm

Count yourself lucky! He might have sent you off on one of his adventures and then who knows where you might have ended up :wink: .
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

serinde

Postby serinde » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:27 am

I was trying to find a phrase that I thought Treebeard says about getting mixed up in the business of wizards. Maybe one of you knows where it is.

But I did find this:

The murmur of the Ents went on. It seemed a very strange and remote place, outside their world, and far from everything that had ever happened to them. A great longing came over them for the faces and voices of their companions, especially for Frodo and Sam, and for Strider.

It has only been 5 months since they had met Strider in Bree, yet the hobbits have relied on him so much...
0 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:02 am

serinde wrote:I was trying to find a phrase that I thought Treebeard says about getting mixed up in the business of wizards. Maybe one of you knows where it is.

:-k

I know he mentions not to mingle in the business of dragons. Is that what you were seeking?
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:33 am

I've been reading FotR slowly this fall and looked this up, serinde and Philipa: Gildor tells Frodo, "Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." I think the line about dragons is from The Hobbit.
0 x

serinde

Postby serinde » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:29 am

Merry wrote:I've been reading FotR slowly this fall and looked this up, serinde and Philipa: Gildor tells Frodo, "Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." I think the line about dragons is from The Hobbit.

Thanks, Merry -- I was sure someone said it
0 x

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:08 pm

How about Treebeard's

'Hoom, hm, I have not troubled about the Great Wars,' said Treebeard; 'they mostly concern Elves and Men. That is the business of Wizards; Wizards are always troubled about the future. I do not like worrying about the future. I do am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody id altogether on my side, if you understand me...'
0 x

serinde

Postby serinde » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:41 pm

In searching for a written location of the Houses of Healing I came upon this:

Suddenly Faramir stirred, and he opened his eyes, andd he looked on Aragorn who bent over him; and a light of knowledge and love was kindled in his eyes, and he spoke softly. 'My lord, you called me. I come. What does the king command?'
0 x

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:58 pm

Ahhhhhh! One of my most favourite passages :D .
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:29 pm

And today is the Feast of Christ the King, the last Sunday of the liturgical year. The deacon is our parish preached this morning and told us that he thought that the image of the King was a negative one for Americans, but I'm not sure that is necessarily true!
0 x

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Postby Lindariel » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:41 am

serinde wrote:Suddenly Faramir stirred, and he opened his eyes, andd he looked on Aragorn who bent over him; and a light of knowledge and love was kindled in his eyes, and he spoke softly. 'My lord, you called me. I come. What does the king command?'

Serinde, I love this quote as well. In fact, it used to be my signature quote here, until I had the audacity to change it to the quote below from The Creator him/herself!
0 x
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:26 pm

Merry wrote:And today is the Feast of Christ the King, the last Sunday of the liturgical year. The deacon is our parish preached this morning and told us that he thought that the image of the King was a negative one for Americans, but I'm not sure that is necessarily true!

I'm sure it isn't in that context. It's an archetypal concept that I think all people everywhere can relate too without thinking about real life European monarchies and all their problems!

While we're in The Houses of Healing, we should skip down a line or two to:

For who would be idle when the King has returned?'
0 x

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”