The Lord of the Rings - A General Discussion Thread

A chapter by chapter as well as general discussion of Tolkien's masterpiece
MICHKA

Re: The Lord of the Rings - A General Discussion Thread

Postby MICHKA » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:11 pm

Estel a posté les résultats d'un vote de popularité et le héros de Fantasy qui vient en tête est notre roi Elessar, Aragorn est toujours le plus aimé des héros!!!! :heart: :clapping: :clapping:
1 x
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:25 pm

Un article intéressant donné par Chrissie sur VW quant à l'origine de l'inspiration d'Aragorn par Tolkien, sur les faits historiques authentiques relevés par Max Adams de l'université de Newcastle, la biographie d'Oswald Iding, roi d'Angleterre après l'effondrement de l'empire romain( titre du livre: ''Le roi du Nord'') Chrissie donne le lien permettant de voir des croquis, photos des sites, et une longue documentation
0 x
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:25 am

I saw that, Michka--very interesting! I haven't read the link yet, though, but I look forward to it. It's interesting that this author thinks there was that distinct an inspiration for Aragorn, because it seems to me that European history is full of lost kings who have to earn back their kingdoms. But I'll read the article before I make any more claims!
1 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:33 pm

I've decided to post a few months of LOTR dates above, since it's quite in the world of The Hobbit but busy in The Lord of the Rings!
1 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:36 pm

I've been reading LOTR again and, of course, still noticing things I haven't noticed before! I'm at the beginning of the third book, that is, the first part of TTT, and I'm noticing now how Pippin is taking the leadership. We've joked here about 'Mippin', a reference to the fact that the two hobbits seem indistinguishable if one does not read carefully. Maybe it's because Merry has been more injured by the orcs and Tolkien tells the story at this point from the point of view of Pippin, for the most part. Maybe Tolkien needs to create a story arc of how Pippin gains his courage.

Anyway, one smaller part of this I noticed is that, when they are being driven to run by the orcs, who are tired of carrying them, Tolkien tells us that a picture of Strider running after them, bent over looking for clues, came 'unbidden' into Pippin's mind, which is why he swerves from the path to leave unspoiled footprints and drops his leaf brooch. It occurred to me that this is another of Tolkien's very subtle hints that our heroes are being assisted by the Valar in their quest. Pippin could have no idea even that Aragorn was alive, much less following them, since the real quest was Frodo's.

I noticed for the first time, too, a line in the Fangorn chapter that Merry and Pippin were too engaged to notice that their cuts and hurts were very quickly healing after they had their first drink from the Entwash.

How I love reading the original! Merry and Pippin were never afraid of Treebeard, who treated them kindly from the start. And I love the bit about the lists of creatures and how Treebeard doesn't remember hobbits being there!
1 x

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Hello! après une petite épreuve où je n'étais plus connectée, me revoici quand même, ouf! je voulais signaler que sur VW une information des Pays-Bas, vient d'arriver: des quartiers d'une ville, GELDROP, ont été baptisées des noms des personnages du Seigneur des Anneaux, exemple :''rue ARAGORN, ou GANDALF, et un groupe scolaire (ou social ?) s'appelle :''Les HOBBITS'' . Voilà un bel exercice de fans de Tolkien, n'est-ce pas?
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:33 am

I saw that--cute!
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:36 pm

Tolkien's calendar is always interesting. Do you think that it was a coincidence that he chose Valentine's Day as the day when Gandalf returns to life and Frodo looks into the Mirror of Galadriel? I don't!

I'm having another Tolkien dinner for my Tolkien friends tonight. This will be my third and I'm running out of Tolkien menus to serve! I'm having something like what Faramir served Frodo and Sam in Henneth Annun: cured meats (in this case, summer sausage from the nearby Amish community and prosciutto), red cheese (this is the second time that Tolkien has mentioned red cheese and it's a tough one: I'm not sure what this was for him. The last time, I had a gouda with a red casing, which I'm also serving this time, but I also found a bright red cheese with Mexican flavorings; sounds awful, but it'll look good!), bread and butter, pale yellow wine, and dried fruits (I was thinking this would be dates and figs, but our market has a great assortment, including beautiful dried kiwi and mango). I'm supplementing this with an herby green salad, justifying this by the fact that such things might be available in Ithilien. Kind of an odd meal, but the alternative was stewed coney!
0 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:11 pm

Merry wrote:I've been reading LOTR again and, of course, still noticing things I haven't noticed before! I'm at the beginning of the third book, that is, the first part of TTT, and I'm noticing now how Pippin is taking the leadership. ... Maybe Tolkien needs to create a story arc of how Pippin gains his courage.

I think you see bits and pieces of this starting after the orc march. We don't see Pippins bravery again until he runs to find Gandalf after Denathor shows his madness.

It occurred to me that this is another of Tolkien's very subtle hints that our heroes are being assisted by the Valar in their quest. Pippin could have no idea even that Aragorn was alive, much less following them, since the real quest was Frodo's.

I never thought the Valar were helping them. And I can't remember specifics but there are a number of places within the story where the characters have visions (Frodo has several) and odd circumstances happens. Did Tolkien mention the Valar helping in this way?

How I love reading the original! Merry and Pippin were never afraid of Treebeard, who treated them kindly from the start. And I love the bit about the lists of creatures and how Treebeard doesn't remember hobbits being there!

There is so many of those little parts of the story that are a treat. How about when Gimli notices that Merry and Pippin have grown while Gimli and Legolas visit them in the House of Healing?

You're right, I catch so much each time I read the stories again.

Let us know how the dinner goes. :D
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:13 pm

I can't recall where we were discussing the interference of the Valar into the affairs of Middle-earth. Merry, you and I had thought of several instances where the characters had foresight or premonitions within the story line.

Why I wanted to bring this up was I was reading someone's assessment on why the Eagles did not just carry Bilbo and Sam to Mt. Doom to destroy the ring.

If you remember the Eagles are God-like incarnations of the Maiar, they do the bidding of the Kings of the Valar. We see them all through out the first, second and third age helping protect Gondlin from Morgoth spies to rescuing Beren and Luthien from Angband. With Gandalf's and Galadriel's requests they help with the defeat of the enemy in several ways.

So we do have this evidence of some "meddling" from the God's where it comes to the lives of those in Middle-earth. :D
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:30 pm

Ha! Thank the Valar for their 'meddling'!

I kind of dropped the ball on this question: my apologies. I looked through the letters a while back to see if Tolkien had referred to this specifically and couldn't find anything. Most of his references to this question are fairly oblique. But the closest I can think of is the essay about when Thorin 'ran into' Gandalf in Bree. (In my books, I find this in The Annotated Hobbit; I'm not sure where else it is published.) Gandalf is pretty clear about his belief that the Valar are contributing a lot to these story lines.
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:11 pm

As we go through the Great Years calendar again this March, I'm always touched by the events of this day: the Lords of the West offering themselves up as a distraction to save Frodo and the mission, and Aragorn giving an out to his most terrified soldiers. Self-sacrifice and compassion: not a pair of qualities I have observed often in leadership.
1 x

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Today is a BIG day!! The Ring is destroyed! Well done Frodo et al. :clapping:
0 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:28 pm

Riv Res wrote:Today is a BIG day!! The Ring is destroyed! Well done Frodo et al. :clapping:

I thought that too Riv. :D

You know I was thinking that any other writer may have stopped their story after today. I'm so happy we got to see the tidying up of those we came to love and the recovery of the Shire.
1 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Yeaaaaa! Bard II and Thorin II drive the enemy from Dale today! Now that must have been a triumphant battle to witness. :D
0 x

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”