Misc. Tolkien

All about J.R.R.Tolkien's life, his beliefs and philosophies, and his interests
marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Wed May 27, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks for posting that extract from Unifinished Tales, CJ - I'm not as familiar with them as I should be so that's most enlightening!!
0 x
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Chrissiejane
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Chrissiejane » Wed May 27, 2009 12:00 pm

0 x
....her song released the sudden spring, like rising lark and falling rain, and melting water bubbling

Iolanthe
Uinen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Iolanthe » Wed May 27, 2009 4:35 pm

0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Wed May 27, 2009 5:02 pm

0 x
Riv Res

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:05 pm

This is sort of interesting, though not as interesting as the title suggests:

(To give credit where it is due, I found this link through TOR.n.)
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Chrissiejane

Postby Chrissiejane » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:02 pm

0 x
....her song released the sudden spring, like rising lark and falling rain, and melting water bubbling

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:52 pm

0 x

Chrissiejane

Postby Chrissiejane » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:38 pm

0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:40 pm

0 x

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:02 pm

0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:23 pm

I know we talked about the Norman invasion in some other thread, but I can't find it, so I'll bring it up again here!

I was watching some of the additional stuff from the ROTK DVD last night--if I've watched it before, I can't remember it. (Maybe one of the benefits of getting older!) Someone said that Tolkien thought that if the Saxons had had horses, maybe the Normans wouldn't have beaten them so easily and things would be very different in England. And out of that came Rohan: Saxons with horses. Whoever the commentator was, he was still referring to the Saxons as 'we', as in 'we would have won', so the identification still runs deep!

So does anyone know how Tolkien (or anyone else, for that matter) would have thought England would be different today had they been able to fend off the Normans? I know he thought that the literature would be different, having preserved the national mythology, etc. Any other ways?
0 x

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:04 pm

That's a good question, Merry. As well as preserving England's lost mythology, there is the whole language, of course, that started evolving differently as it incorporated new words, although Norman French was mainly spoken by the invading aristocracy.

Shippey (I think...) mentioned at the Festival in the Shire that because the ruling elite changed, all but the most basic education was given in French with the former English rulers denied it. I expect it made little difference to the Anglo Saxon in the street though! But it would also have affected the development of literature, almost bringing it to a standstill.

There must be a ton of other ways it affected how England developed, but for the life of me I can't think of any more at the moment!
0 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Wonderful discussion and I wish I had something to add but we never think of cultural changes on this side of the pond unless you are a native to the continent. So thinking of how the native peoples were when white Europeans came and what they are today I can grasp what huge disruptions took place in England to some degree.
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

An online guide to all things Tolkien

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:44 pm

0 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:20 pm

0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

An online guide to all things Tolkien

Return to “Tolkien's Life, Beliefs, and Interests”