Please Introduce Yourself

Say "Hello", let us get to know you and why you love Tolkien, and share important news!
Riv Res
Manwë

Please Introduce Yourself

Post by Riv Res » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:05 am

Becky Carter-Hitchin

Introductions

We are delighted you have found Middle-earth Journeys. All of us have traveled many miles and have stories to tell. Please take a moment and introduce yourself to our membership.

Please be familiar with our House Rules and foremost enjoy your stay.

Riv Res
Manwë

Post by Riv Res » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:21 pm

Hi! I am Riv Res and Tolkien is alway in my mind and in my heart! I am deligthed to give all of us a place to simply talk Tolkien. Welcome my friends...as we embark on Middle-earth Journeys with our Tolkien friends and all of you.

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:30 pm

Hello, everybody, I'm Merry and I've been thinking about Tolkien for forty years, since I first read The Lord of the Rings. It's probably no coincidence that the lovely illustration for this thread is about Nienna, because I think Tolkien can also teach us 'pity, wisdom & hope'. His thought has deep roots.

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:16 am

Hi I'm Philipa, Riv told me I had to help her or she would ban me from Viggo-Works. :wink:

Ok I'll start over. I'm quite new to Tolkien and his works. It wasn't until after Peter Jackson's movies did I read The Hobbit to my children. I then consumed LoTR, Silmarillion and several other Middle-earth titles. I consider myself a beginner and hope other novices feel free to join in on the discussions here at MeJ.

bruce rerek

Post by bruce rerek » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:12 pm

Greetings from King's County, also known as Brooklyn, 17 September 2005, 10:51 a.m.
Among the many curiosities I have explored, the most resonate is the landscape of the Fairy Story. Tolkien created a universe where our souls yearn to reside and our deepest fears are articulated. It is not without peril do we explore such a landscape, for to do so is to leave the comfort of our assumptions and seemingly harmless illusions. The above warning next to the ship is well worth reading.
I am a person given to Hobbitish ways, the love of ales, good food and tilled earth, but I also have been known to wander about when wizards come knocking on my door. Living well is also keeping one's wits sharp and I keep this mind occupied by unraveling what myths make us do - wonder.
If you have a daydream to share please do sit next to me.
Bruce
Bruce
Mornie utlie
Believe and you will find your way
Mornie alantie
a promise lives within you now

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:34 pm

Welcome dear sir to this place I'm sure you'll feel quite comfortable in. There is plenty of beverage and weed for the taking. :wink: :D

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:14 pm

Welcome, friend! :D

Tolkien also articulates my deepest hopes. And it is perilous to do that, as well!
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Techadmin
Aulë

Post by Techadmin » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:35 pm

I'm the techie-wizard, sheltered from all woes in Valinor and not coming out much, unless the world be in peril. So, don't expect to hear from me much unless Illuin and Ormal are teetering and I ride to the rescue.

Riv Res
Manwë

Post by Riv Res » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:40 pm

Hi Bruce, and welcome to MeJ (yep...we are already abbreviated here too :lol: ). I only have one alias and that is that I am Tar Vanwa over at WRoR...but now I think you know me for who I really am. Riv Res is short for Rivendell Resident, and like Merry I am a complete Tolkien addict as well.

I hope that you and everyone else find our Middle-earth journeys to be fraught with adventure and and revelation. I am eager to pick your brain on all things Tolkien. :D

Cassandra

Post by Cassandra » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:29 am

Hi, I am Cassandra from Germany. I must admit, I owned LotR for a long time, I don´t dare to say how long :oops: and didn´t read it. So many people recommended it but still... I couldn´t get past the first 50 pages. I thought "What the heck is this about?" Although I loved fantasy and was a big fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley. Then the movies came out. I saw FotR and was overwhelmed. Not only because of PJ´s beautiful transformation, but of the story itself. I remember the first Harry Potter film came to the movies about the same time and I kept telling everyone that this Potter movie was nice, it had wonderful pictures in it, and it was a bewitching fairy tale, but....nothing compared to LotR. The profoundness, the layers, the richness of storytelling, but RL was stressful then and it took me until TTT came to the movies, that I started to read. And what a journey awaited me. I could beat myself now for not reading it sooner. I found HoT and the wonderful posts and information about Tolkien made me hooked more and more. I wanted to know more about this wonderful man who was able to bring a whole new world to me. I read some books but I still feel like a beginner. It´s great of you, Riv, to open this forum and I hope I can find more time to participate than over at WRoR.

Cassandra

Chrissiejane

Post by Chrissiejane » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:53 am

Hi everyone, I am Chrissiejane and I have loved Tolkien since the sixties, when I first read The Hobbit, and Lord of the Rings.
PJ's movies re-awakened my interest in delving deeper into middle earth and I so look forward to learning and sharing in this wonderful new forum.
Thanks Riv and mods, let's go! :D
....her song released the sudden spring, like rising lark and falling rain, and melting water bubbling

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:06 pm

Hi Chrissiejane, Cassandra and bruce of the Hobbitish ways :wave: . This is like Tolkien's anonymous :lol: .

Hi I'm Iolanthe and I'm a Tolkienaholic.
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:16 pm

Cassandra and Chrissiejane it is wonderful to see you here. Pull up a stool and rest awhile. :D

Mithrandir

Post by Mithrandir » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:31 pm

Hello All,

Tolkien has been close to my heart for almost 30 years. Each time I read the the good professors works, they speak to me in different ways. I look forward to many good conversations and merry meetings at Middle-earth Journeys.

I am a teacher of history and a photographer.

Sahara

Post by Sahara » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:07 pm

Greetings to all. My dear Riv Res, thank you for the invitation to this wonderful place. I am Sahara (an old beginner). I was never interested in Tolkien in my younger years; had the impression it was just another "boys" story. But then "magic" happened. I have read The Hobbit, LOTR (a couple of times), The Sil (my favorite), Unfinished Tales, Shippey's biography, Letters. I intend to learn more about this intriguing gentleman's work (and of himself, if possible), through this site. I am not well versed in his work; I cannot discuss any of it at your level, but I am sure I will be now that we are here. Thank you so much.

Sahara