Member News

Say "Hello", let us get to know you and why you love Tolkien, and share important news!
Merry
Varda

Member News

Postby Merry » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Lindariel has been right: we should have a place to share important news! Here is the place to check on each other and wish each other well.
1 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Re: Member News

Postby Lindariel » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:00 am

As we prepare for the wrath of Hurricane Irene, I hope that all MeJ members in the path of the storm will comply with any evacuation orders, make all necessary storm preparations, and take good care of themselves and their loved ones. The Lindariel family is heading to the mountains tomorrow for a previously scheduled vacation time-share. Our neighbor will keep an eye on our house and let us know about any problems.

Good heavens! First an earthquake . . . now a hurricane. I hope these things don't come in threes!
0 x
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:07 am

Sounds like you're making the best of things, Lindariel. I hope all goes well and that you have a great book to bring with you!
0 x

Lindariel

Postby Lindariel » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:58 pm

HAH! I have a KINDLE! I have an entire LIBRARY of great books to take with me!
0 x
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:49 pm

Mountains and a Kindle--sounds wonderful! Here's hoping all is well when you return home.

I'm starting school again tomorrow. I'm actually looking forward to returning to the classroom! The rest of it, though, not so much. :roll:
0 x

Lindariel

Postby Lindariel » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Just heard from our neighbor. The house is fine. We have lost one of the trees in our front yard, but otherwise no damage to house or property. That's a relief! Looks like we'll be hauling away a tree and grinding out a stump when we return from vacation. Sigh . . . just in time for school to start too! Hope every one in the storm's path is OK!
0 x
Lindariel Image

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:16 am

J'ai été déconnectée ces derniers jours et n'avais aucune nouvelle. Je suis bien contente de voir que tout s'est relativement bien passé pour vous et que les newyorkais ont été disciplinés dans l'ensemble pour éviter le désastre. En espérant que Mère Nature s'arrête là!!
0 x
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

Lindariel

Postby Lindariel » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:04 pm

Hmmm . . . I DID mention bad things coming in threes, didn't I? Well, the Lindariel family has had a rather eventful mountain vacation and Labor Day weekend. Mr. L began having bad abdominal pains late last Thursday night, so the next day, instead of spending our last day enjoying the resort's marvelous water park one more time, we packed up the car, checked out, and drove the 2 hours back home. After unpacking and settling our daughters with an older friend, I took Mr. L to the ER at the brand new Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, which just opened on August 31.

Turns out the poor man had appendicitis! He went into surgery at 5:00 AM Saturday morning. Everything went very well, no perforations or complications, and his intubation has not damaged his vocal cords -- an extremely big concern for a professional singer, especially one with a world-class operatic Verdi baritone voice! Mr. L spent an uneventful day and night in the hospital, which really is an AMAZING facility. All of the LARGE rooms are private, and they are set up to accommodate LOTS of visiting family (including a small fold-out bed!), which must be particularly important for returning injured soldiers. The girls and I brought him home this afternoon, and he is resting comfortably.

WHEW! I'm a strong, capable, resourceful woman, but this has been a really strenuous year for me. Thank goodness I got all of the back-to-school shopping out of the way earlier this summer. I'm definitely ready for life to give me a break for a while!
0 x
Lindariel Image

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:53 pm

Well, the L family sure has its adventures, don't they? I'm so glad everything worked out well. I never thought of the vocal cords being as issue.

I'd say it's time for a nice, uneventful fall for you all! No more adventures.

I have had a house guest for a few days, but now I'm hoping for a nice, uneventful couple of days before school starts in earnest. After a storm front yesterday, we now have lovely, cool weather. I have gotten out the blankets and made a great pot of my famous black bean soup! Undoubtedly, we'll have a few more stinkin' hot days, but ya' gotta love fall!
1 x

marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:01 pm

Lindariel, so glad to hear that Mr L is on the mend and that his voice is OK. Like Merry, I hadn't realised that the voice could be affected by appendicitis. Let's hope the rest of the year is a gentle one for you all!
1 x
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Lindariel

Postby Lindariel » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:41 pm

Thanks so much for your good wishes, ladies. Mr. L has spent another quiet day at home and continues to improve.

Surgery of any kind is a HUGE concern for a singer because general anesthesia requires the patient to be intubated, i.e., they have to put a breathing tube in that must pass between the vocal cords in order to ensure an open airway throughout the procedure. The process of both intubating and extubating (removing the tube) can damage the vocal cords, potentially irrevocably. Obviously, we're very relieved that Mr. L's vocal cords came through the procedure just fine!
1 x
Lindariel Image

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Lindariel wrote:Thanks so much for your good wishes, ladies. Mr. L has spent another quiet day at home and continues to improve.

Surgery of any kind is a HUGE concern for a singer because general anesthesia requires the patient to be intubated, i.e., they have to put a breathing tube in that must pass between the vocal cords in order to ensure an open airway throughout the procedure. The process of both intubating and extubating (removing the tube) can damage the vocal cords, potentially irrevocably. Obviously, we're very relieved that Mr. L's vocal cords came through the procedure just fine!

je suis bien contente pour vous et espère la fin des incendies au Texas, vraiment pas de chance cette année avec les éléments et les évènements; et toutes nos pensées pour le 11 septembre -anniversaire douloureux.Je pars encore quelques jours et ne serais de retour vraiment pour jouer ou travailler sur le forum que début octobre, bonne continuation et amitiés à tous
0 x
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks for your good wishes, Michka. So far, my experience of the 9-11 anniversary has been solemn and full of calls for forgiveness. But the day is not over yet.

Happy trails to you!
0 x

Lindariel

Postby Lindariel » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:09 am

Here's some good news!

Happy Birthday to our youngest MeJ member Meliel (my daughter), who turns 15 today (October 2)!
0 x
Lindariel Image

marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:24 pm

Happy Birthday, Meliel! :flower: :party: :juggle:
0 x
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Return to “New Member Introductions and Member News”