Cor Blok

Studies of the Art and Artists Inspired by the Writings of J.R.R.Tolkien
marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:06 am

I've now had a chance to look at my copy of the calendar properly. It's wonderful. My favourites are the simpler pieces - I'm so glad Cor Blok agreed to share The Stairs of Cirith Ungol with us - it's very touching. And I love the Ents - each one representing a specific tree in a really simple, instantly recognisable way. I also love Boromir and Aragorn in The Chamber of Mazarbul - they look like a pair of gangsters in their big black hats :D

Until I read his introduction to the calendar, I'd forgotten that Cor Blok himself invented a world which he expressed through art - Barbusia - which forms a neat parallel to the fact that Tolkien invented a world which he expressed initially through languages.

The introduction included some fascinating tidbits of background to some of the paintings. If a book of the paintings was ever published, with more information about each one, I would certainly buy it. But perhaps the artist is too busy with his current projects!!
0 x
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:30 pm

Thank you M for more information. How will I ever make it till August. :roll:
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Postby Lindariel » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:40 pm

I'm equally anxious, Philipa. Can't WAIT to see The Stairs of Cirith Ungol. That is hands down the most compelling and moving moment in The Professor's entire tale, and I am really excited to see how Mr. Blok depicts it.
0 x
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:02 pm

You won't be disappointed. The painting is very pared down and simple and just let's the moment speak for itself. The faces of the two sleeping Hobbits is really affecting.

I keep going back to the marching ents, especially the spiky holly ent with the bright red arms! I also love the way that the eyes of Merry, Pippin and Treebeard are all on a level. The way the two Hobbit's are looking in at him is priceless.
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:10 pm

Many thanks to Jan for sending these along from the Cor Blok calendar.

THE FORD OF BRUINEN

THE FORBIDDEN POOL

THE STAIRS OF CIRITH UNGOL

THE JOURNEY ON THE RIVER ANDUIN

THE SLAYING OF THE NAZGUL

THE CROSS ROADS

© Cor Blok

0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:37 pm

Thanks, Cor and Jan, for letting us have a look at these. They are as evocative as everyone says they are. The use of texture and color and space are really interesting.

I have a question, though, for Cor, if you're reading this. Why do you imagine Gollum as having a kind of beak?
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Lindariel

Postby Lindariel » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:30 pm

Merry, you stole my question! Is the "beak" intended perhaps to be a long snout, since The Professor often describes Gollum as "sniffing"?

Mr. Blok, please know that I love, love, LOVE these paintings and cannot WAIT to receive my calendar in order to appreciate them in greater detail! However, I live in the U.S. and must wait until August.
0 x
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:11 pm

:shock: Presents!!
0 x

marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:30 am

So grateful to Jan and to Cor Blok for allowing these paintings to be posted on MEJ so that everone can see them. They deserve as wide an audience as possible (which is why I'm so glad we have a Cor Blok Tolkien Calendar this year!).
0 x
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Lindariel

Postby Lindariel » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:40 pm

Any chance Jan could share with us the painting of the Ents that both marbretherese and Iolanthe love so much?
0 x
Lindariel Image

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:49 am

Lindariel wrote:Any chance Jan could share with us the painting of the Ents that both marbretherese and Iolanthe love so much?

It would be a joy to see it I'm sure.
0 x

Beren

Cor Blok Help Needed

Postby Beren » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:45 am

As you all noticed Tolkien Calendar 2011 will feature the art by Cor Blok. Hope you all like it. In Tolkien illustration this probably about the complete other end compared to the works we have seen the last several years (Alan Lee, John Howe, Ted Nasmith,...) - still I hope Cor Blok's art can be appreciated by many. I would describe his art as wonderfully odd, but incredible fascinating.

At the moment I'm doing a lot of research on the art of Cor Blok and wanted to see if there are any members here that could help me out a little.

For example, who attended the SF convention in Eindhoven, The Netherlands, in November 1994? Who bought the Cor Blok paintings that were on display there (n° 18, 19 and 20) or took pictures of them? The convention was called Hillcon V and Seal-Con... all info is welcome! In fact, all info on Cor Blok's paintings is more then welcome!

Does have anyone have more info on the exhibition (and selling) of Cor Blok's art on SF conventions in the 90's? It is quit important to find correct info about this to really understand how his paintings were put on the market and got dispersed. At the moment I'm especially trying to locate all current owners of his paintings.

I'm especially looking for info on the following paintings:
Isengard
Ephel Dúath
Sam attacks Shelob
The game of riddles
Weathertop
The Last Bridge
Minas Morgul

All help is very welcome!
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:14 am

Are you doing this research for your own pleasure, Beren, or do you intend to publish it in some form? Good luck in finding the owners of the paintings. I would assume that most of them remain in Europe, right?
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Beren

Outside Europe

Postby Beren » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:21 am

I'm actually convinced some sold to America... and probably to Poland. Some are in UK, France, Finland,... so I have to look beyond European borders as well! I'm always doing research for my own pleasure, and always in projects I believe in. But one never knows what can happen? A publication? Would be very nice, right!
0 x

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:30 pm

Right! It would be very nice. I'd buy a book on Blok's work like a shot. Good luck with the research, you never know what may turn up and I'll ask around at Oxonmoot.
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Return to “Tolkien Art”