Our Favorite Passages from 'The Lord of the Rings'

A chapter by chapter as well as general discussion of Tolkien's masterpiece
Riv Res
Manwë

Re: Our Favorite Passages from 'The Lord of the Rings'

Postby Riv Res » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:13 pm

I am (gloriously) wading through The Lord of the Rings again and I am compelled to post that I am simply (always have been) enamored with Tolkien the tactician ... a passage in point. This from the chapter, The White Rider ...

The Enemy, of course, has long known that the Ring is abroad, and that it is borne by a hobbit. He knows now the number of our Company that set out from Rivendell, and the kind of each of us. But he does not yet perceive our purpose clearly. He supposes that we were all going to Minas Tirith; for that is what he would himself have done in our place. And according to his wisdom it would have been a heavy stroke against his power. Indeed he is in great fear, not knowing what mighty one may suddenly appear, wielding the Ring, and assailing him with war, seeking to cast him down and take his place. That we should wish to cast him down and have no one in his place is not a thought that occurs to his mind. That we should try to destroy the Ring itself has not yet entered into his darkest dream. In which no doubt you will see our good fortune and our hope. For imagining war he has let loose war, believing that he has no time to waste; for he that strikes the first blow, if he strikes it hard enough, may need to strike no more. So the forces that he has long been preparing he is now setting in motion, sooner than he intended. Wise fool. For if he had used all his power to guard Mordor, so that none could enter, and bent all his guild to the hunting of the Ring, then indeed hope would have faded: neither Ring nor Bearer could long have eluded him. But now his eye gazes abroad rather than near at home; and mostly he looks towards Minas Tirith. Very soon now his strength will fall upon it like a storm.

It tickles the imagination to think of what would have happened had Sauron used all his power to guard Mordor. :wink:
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:10 pm

Good thoughts, RR! Do we see JRRT's military experience here or his knowledge of history? (I'm teaching a course in ancient philosophy now, which requires me to know some stuff about ancient Greek and Roman history. There were a couple of times when, if a city-state had waged a defensive war, they would have won and history might be different!)

I think Tolkien also understands the nature of pride as a deadly sin. The Fellowship really is a humble undertaking.
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

serinde

Postby serinde » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:41 pm

I, too, am gloriously wading through LotR ~~ I must be in about the same place as you, RR, for my guys have just entered Helm's Deep.

The betrayal of Saruman and the mindset of Denethor are to the advantage then, for by interacting with them, Sauron does think that someone in the West will try to wield the Ring. It disturbs me to no end, in the movies, that Saruman & Denethor seem to know so much about Frodo & the Quest ~~ how is the secret kept safe from Sauron?

Here is a phrase I recently (well, a few chapters ago) discovered:

The lands ahead were empty of all save birds and beasts, unfriendly places deserted by all the races of the world.
0 x
"Elan sila lumenn omentielvo"

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:27 pm

Lovely, sad sentence, serinde!

And very good point about the movies.
0 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:19 pm

serinde wrote:It disturbs me to no end, in the movies, that Saruman & Denethor seem to know so much about Frodo & the Quest ~~ how is the secret kept safe from Sauron?

Though I know PJ really was channeling the Professor when doing this. I believe it was Sauron's vanity and ego which kept him blind of what was really happening in his back yard.
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:16 pm

Philipa wrote:Though I know PJ really was channeling the Professor when doing this. I believe it was Sauron's vanity and ego which kept him blind of what was really happening in his back yard.

He sure wasn't very good at guessing what the good guys were up to, was he? :roll:
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:23 pm

Sauron's history is sometimes a little vague in my mind. How much did he really know about the rational species of Middle-earth? You've got to think that Gandalf was pretty smart in hanging around Men and Hobbits and Elves and Dwarves a lot. The downfall of Sauron and Saruman might have been their lack of interest in lesser beings.
0 x

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:24 pm

Yes Merry, I think you're right. I have always noticed a certain smugness in both characters ... perhaps it is simply that which is their ultimate downfall.
0 x

serinde

Postby serinde » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:18 am

"Reluctantly Frodo turned his back on the West and followed as his guide led him, out into the darkness of the East."

This seems to be one of the saddest sentences ~~ how many of us would take the road leading to the East?
0 x
"Elan sila lumenn omentielvo"

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:04 am

So true Serinde. Out of duty or desperation that road would not have been my choice. Of course, when faced with the same scenario ...
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Sun May 22, 2011 5:04 pm

J'arrive un peu tard dans ce fil que je découvre petit à petit avec énormément de joie;il me donne des éclaicissements sur la narration, et des détails oubliés ou inédits. Quel talent avait Mr Tolkien pour tenir ses lecteurs en haleine et les garder aussi fidèles à ces histoires; on ne s'en lasse jamais; chaque relecture révèle des trésors !
voici une des citations que j'ai choisie parmi mes préférées: ''Le rideau de pluie grisâtre de ce monde se lèvera et tout sera brillant comme de l'argent, et alors vous les verrez: les rivages blancs et au delà, la lointaine contrée verdoyante sous un fugace rayon de soleil''
''Ce n'est pas la fin, c'est un autre chemin'' Image de Gandalf pour le dernier voyage, douce et rassurante
0 x
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sun May 22, 2011 9:28 pm

Lovely to read that in French!
0 x

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Mon May 23, 2011 11:10 am

Cela me fait plaisir que vous aimiez la langue de mon pays; j'aimerais pouvoir lire en anglais aussi bien, j'adore la musique de votre langue; je regarde tous les films en V.O pour çà, et entendre la vraie voix des acteurs, les traductions sont parfois amusantes et pas toujours véritablement mot pour mot, alors un peu de connaissance fait sourire ( surtout dans certains cas!!)
0 x
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Mon May 23, 2011 3:42 pm

I had a copy of one of the LOTR films that had Spanish subtitles at one time and it seemed to me that they were not always careful translations! And I remember that Tolkien was not always pleased with (probably closer to the truth to say that he was fairly angry!) some of the translations of his work.
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:02 am

As I've been tending the Great Years Calendar announcements at the top of our website, I've been traveling around with our heroes as we go along in real time, which I always enjoy. Theoden's funeral is coming up and, while I always enjoy the ritual and the announcement of Faramir and Eowyn's betrothal, one part that I don't enjoy is Merry's role. All of that weeping and 'as a father you were to me' business seems a little over the top to me, when no one in Rohan was carrying on so much! Am I missing something here?

Wrong thread, I know, but we don't exactly have a 'least favorite passage' thread!
0 x

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”