FoTR - The Bridge of Khazad-dûm: Bk II, Chapter V

A chapter by chapter as well as general discussion of Tolkien's masterpiece
Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Postby Lindariel » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:09 pm

And don't forget that his chief mentor was also a Vala -- Nienna. Here's what the Professor has to say about her in The Silmarillion:

Mightier than Este is Nienna, sister of the Feanturi [the masters of spirits -- Namo (Mandos) and Irmo (Lorien)]; she dwells alone. She is acquainted with grief, and mourns for every wound that Arda has suffered in the marring of Melkor. So great was her sorrow, as the Music unfolded, that her song turned to lamentation long before its end, and the sound of mourning was woven into the themes of the World before it began. But she does not weep for herself; and those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope. Her halls are west of West, upon the borders of the world; and she comes seldom to the city of Valimar where all is glad. She goes rather to the halls of Mandos, which are near to her own; and all those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom. The windows of her house look outward from the walls of the world.

And here's the entry about Olorin's tutelage with Nienna:

Wisest of the Maiar was Olorin. He too dwelt in Lorien, but his ways took him often to the house of Nienna, and of her he learned pity and patience.

Wisdom, pity, endurance in hope, and patience are Gandalf's chief attributes, and certainly they are the attributes one would desire in a good Steward!
0 x
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:03 pm

Pity and patience and endurance in hope - all the qualities that the Fellowship also needed to learn from Gandalf. Without any of those would the Quest have succeeded? Nienna's teaching is far reaching indeed!
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Postby Lindariel » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:17 am

Another interesting bit about Gandalf from David Day's Tolkien's Ring:

Gandalf's Elf ring and Sauron's One Ring were both symbolic of the control of alchemical fire, but alchemical fire of different types. The evil alchemy that made the One Ring commanded the dark satanic fire out of the bowels of the earth. This power transformed the material world -- or at least gave that illusion, and the accompanying illusion of worldly power.

The good alchemy of Gandalf's Elf ring commanded the celestial fire of the spirit . . . . This 'good' alchemical fire has no power over the material world. However, the fire of the spirit does have the power to impassion and uplift the soul because ultimately its source is the sacred 'Flame Imperishable" of Eru the One -- the Supreme Being who gave all things life.

We see this duel between the two kinds of alchemical fire vividly illustrated in Gandalf's battle with Sauron's mightiest demon -- the Balrog of Moria -- on the Bridge of Khazad-dum. In Gandalf's challenge to the Balrog, we see the clear distinction between the two types of alchemical fire . . . .

This head-on conflict, of course, led to mutual destruction.. Gandalf foresaw this, but made the sacrifice because no other way was possible. However, Gandalf also understood that ultimately the only way to defeat Sauron and his evil One Ring was not to attempt to overthrow him or to seize its power, but to undo the alchemical process by which the Ring of Power was made.
Last edited by Lindariel on Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:26 pm

Yes! (I know we're not supposed to talk about the movies, so I'm whispering: but I think that quote explains why I found that silly fight scene between Saruman and Gandalf at Isengard so annoying. :roll: )
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”