A chapter by chapter as well as general discussion of Tolkien's masterpiece
Riv Res
Manwë

FOTR - Many Meetings: Bk II, Chapter I

Postby Riv Res » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:46 am

Many Meetings

Bilbo's Poets Corner: The Hall of Fire.

© Riv Res / Rabbit Ridge Art™

After the terrors of the road, the Company has at last reached the safety of the Last Homely Home. Frodo is on the mend, and here once again Tolkien weaves the enchantment of Rivendell. Fears are put to the back of the mind and Elven culture and the history of Middle-earth take center stage. As a prelude to the Council of Elrond, this chapter tells us much as it brings us under the spell of what, for me, is the most wonderful place in all of Tolkien's creation. Let's talk about it shall we?

House Rules
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:53 am

I've always thought that Tolkien chose an interesting place in the narrative to end Book 1 and begin Book 2. Do you think that anyone has ever stopped with Frodo losing consciousness at the Ford, put down her book, and thought, 'Yeah, I'll pick this up again next weekend?' No way! Aren't we so relieved to find Frodo safe with Gandalf in the Last Homely House?
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

hope

Postby hope » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:52 pm

I've always loved Rivendell, right from my first read. Tolkien I feel described the peace and tranquility perfectly that Rivendell provided, I always wanted to go there

The council of Elrond allows the reader to gain background information relating to all the races of middle earth, which i feel is needed to bring some story lines and links to history together.

i also feel re-introducing Bilbo into the story links the LOTR well with the Hobbit.
0 x
What have I got in my pocket?

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:28 pm

I really enjoy this chapter! So many interesting things new things to enjoy and there is the same sense of relief and pleasure we get when the Hobbits are taken to Bombadil's home. I'd better catch up reading it so I can say more!
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:03 am

I can't remember where I read this, but some writer has pointed out that in many hero/journey stories, the hero must visit a place of lore before he proceeds on the journey. I think it's no accident that both Bilbo and Frodo stop at Rivendell: wisdom is needed for both of these quests. But the account of Rivendell is so anemic in The Hobbit!
0 x

Chrissiejane

Postby Chrissiejane » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:59 pm

Merry, I had a quick look at some Joseph Campbell works to see if I could find your reference, could not immediately locate anything about learning the folklore, but I do think that the Rivendell connections serve another purpose too. The hobbits are introduced to Elves - superior beings with powers that help them in the quest. Because they go to Rivendell they are able to access Elrond's (and Galadriel's) gift of foresight, and to get gifts, advice and support to help them in their quest. In many heroic journeys the hero is supported by gods or angels or similar who come to his aid at critical times. So maybe Tolkien is encompassing more than one of the traditional mythical elements in this chapter.
0 x
....her song released the sudden spring, like rising lark and falling rain, and melting water bubbling

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:40 am

That wouldn't surprise me, Chrissiejane--Tolkien's almost always working on several different levels, isn't he?

Another little interesting item from this chapter is the effect of Elvish music on the hobbits. First, it makes them sleepy! But then it seems to penetrate into their memories in an unusual way: Frodo doesn't understand most of the Elvish, but he remembers it much later. I wonder what Tolkien was trying to say in this.
0 x

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:16 pm

That's an interesting observation, Merry. Maybe he was trying to make the point that there is wisdom and knowledge that is almost subliminal, more intuitive than rational, that can't just be read in a book or conveyed in day-to-day language. Coincidently we know now that listening to things like language tapes while almost asleep leads to fast-track learning, though I don't expect Tolkien would have thought much of that!

I seem to remember something about heros and lore too, but can't for the life of me remember where. I'll have to do some digging.

Chrissiejane wrote:In many heroic journeys the hero is supported by gods or angels or similar who come to his aid at critical times. So maybe Tolkien is encompassing more than one of the traditional mythical elements in this chapter.

I think you're dead right here, the elves fulfil that function even though they are part of Middle-earth. I suppose Tom Bombadil would count as another example. I'd include Gandalf but as he is one of the prime-movers in the events of the book I guess he doesn't really count...
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:14 pm

Merry wrote:Another little interesting item from this chapter is the effect of Elvish music on the hobbits. First, it makes them sleepy! But then it seems to penetrate into their memories in an unusual way: Frodo doesn't understand most of the Elvish, but he remembers it much later. I wonder what Tolkien was trying to say in this.

Rivendell is also my favourite place, such a tranquil, beautiful haven. :sleepy:

I always wanted to know what the music in LOTR would sound like because of Tolkien’s description of it. You can almost feel your heart soaring with words like “… and the firelit hall became like a golden mist above seas of foam that sighed upon the margins of the world … until he felt that an endless river of swelling gold and silver was flowing over him…” Music is so much more expressive when it comes to emotions and I think you remember it much more than the written word. Whether it be classical or more modern music, whenever a piece of music is played you remember it and often recall all the lyrics. The trigger is always the music, so maybe Frodo learned more than he thought by listening to the elven songs.

Marilyn
0 x
"I have wished thee joy ever since first I saw thee"

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”